what do i need to expect

robdavis305

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ive lover photography my whole life,my daddy bought me my first camera in 1984. i took 4yrs of photography in high school but it sure wasnt digital. im going back to school next week to a technical college known for its photograghy classes. i would love to be able to start my own biz.

The fundamentals of film and digital photography are the same. Anything new you will learn will probably be about PP.

i would love to be able to start my own biz.
First, practice presenting yourself as a professional, at all times.

Like proof reading all your written communications to be ensure capital letters, proper grammer and punctuation.

Take business classes since having a successful photography business is way more about business skill, than photographic skill.

Good luck with your studies.

Yeah, first thing I thought of... Spelling/punctuation, etc...

Just like Keith said, running a business is another thing to learn in and of itself. Learn photography and become proficient at it before you try to make a business out of it.

i would love to be able to start my own biz.
First, practice presenting yourself as a professional, at all times.

Like proof reading all your written communications to be ensure capital letters, proper grammer and punctuation.

Take business classes since having a successful photography business is way more about business skill, than photographic skill.

Good luck with your studies.

Seconded...

Knowing how to run a business and knowing how to properly communicate with customers are vastly more important to running a successful photo-based business than is knowing how to take pictures. Sure, you need to know your craft, but its 3rd on the list of the skills you need.

I think one thing you'll find is that there will be a need for computer skills. Downloading images, possibly using a re-naming application, sorting your entire "take" and discarding unacceptable images, creating archives or folders of images, importing photos and applying your own personalized data to the metadata area of files, and of course adjustment of the files using image editing software, and burning CD or DVD discs containing the adjusted and tagged images--ALL of these steps are done using a computer these days.

I expect that you'll be faced with more computer overload than you will photographically related overload,since digital photography at the camera level is remarkably similar to film-based photography.

I expect that you might feel a bit out of your element as well, but that's the type of challenge that will test your abilities and when overcome, will boost your confidence. Doing something outside of one's comfort zone can be a good thing, so keep at it,keep applying yourself, and do not be afraid to ASK the questions you have--if you're wondering, others might also be wondering the same,exact thing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back