what do i need?

jdmwannabee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i did not take these pics, i just found them online and fell in love with them!

i am getting a nikon d80 in about 3 weeks and i have a little extra cash for lenses and stuff, so i just want to know what all i will need (other than skill and experiance) to get shots like this?

may20thphotoshoot.jpg

Subaru_impreza_WRC_HDR_11_by_exxx20.jpg

thanks!

it almost looks like a fisheye lens on the first one, but im pretty new and am not sure, the second one is LOTS of practice at timing. I started my "Photography" hobby in at the racetrack, and let me tell you, I had so many empty track shots and out of focus shots it was kinda embarrasing. I wish I could afford a 400mm f2.8, cause thats what it takes to get close and get enough light for the faster shutter speeds needed. Again, I have very limited exp. but I have taken thousands of shots of moving cars and my 75-300 at f 5.6 is a little slow and I had to turn the iso up too high on cloudy days.

The firs one it's an HDR, and it's done in photoshop.
The last suffered a lot of editing or it's an HDR too.
Beside the lenses and the camera don't forget the tripod.

The firs one it's an HDR, and it's done in photoshop.
The last suffered a lot of editing or it's an HDR too.
Beside the lenses and the camera don't forget the tripod.

The first one does infact appear to be an HDR the second tho looks to be an EDR (or single shot exposure tampered and HDR processesed to emulate an HDR)

But to answer the OP's Question, All you need is an extremely super wide lens for the first and a good fast telephoto for the second and Photoshop and as you mentioned experience.

I am willing to bet the lenses needed to get these shots is going to be well out of your price range, So I would advise you choose one style over the other just to get started.

I willing to bet that the first one is HDR with a fisheye or just a really wide lens and probably a full frame camera.. but with the D80 a tripod some decent glass and the perfect conditions you could possible archive an image close to that...the second one seems to be on the Heavy side of photoshoped for me.. I don't think that car is actually moving, if you look the wheels are perfectly straight.. the people are oddly staggered... and the ground under the car looks different then to what is on the ground....if you want results like that become a wiz a Photoshop... but deffinetly aim to get stuff like the first one... I might try some stuff like that my self

the second one seems to be on the Heavy side of photoshoped for me.. I don't think that car is actually moving, if you look the wheels are perfectly straight.. the people are oddly staggered... and the ground under the car looks different then to what is on the ground....if you want results like that become a wiz a Photoshop... but deffinetly aim to get stuff like the first one... I might try some stuff like that my self

No, that car is moving, with the exception of the people it's all an effect of tonemapping a single exposure, this one is blatently obvious and not particularly well done IMHO. I don't know what is up with the people, tone mapping people from one exposure should not do that to them even if they are out side field of focus. I assume it was done for some sort of other effect but not having done the processing I simply don't know.

is it just me, or does the second one almost looks like a flash was used?

is it just me, or does everyone give the same answers over and over again? I mean, its fine if you want to, but I just think its silly for everyone to say over and over again "first one's an HDR with a fisheye, second one is photoshopped and shot with a flash" i'm thinking more so for the OP who is looking for the advice... or others who are interested to.. I came in here saw the pics... then saw 4 posts that said the exact same thing... kinda silly...

sorry if i seem cranky... baby didnt sleep last night.. i've been up since 3am

is it just me, or does everyone give the same answers over and over again?

Happens all the time. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm on everyone's ignore list because I'll answer a question (you know, one of those simple ones that can be answered in one line), and then someone else (or ten more people) will come in and say the exact same thing. I think it's because you read a thread, then you feel like you have to say something in it. Probably the same reason I'm writing all of this...lol.

(what Battou said (looking at the thread for a while before replying) probably happens a lot too)

is it just me, or does the second one almost looks like a flash was used?

Actually, there WAS a flash. If you look closely, the image shows two shadows on the fender. One is from the sun and the other the flash. It also looks like they did an HDR type of process on this image.

I am new here, so don't know all of the rules, but am wondering about someone posting copyrighted work of another here. Does this happen often? :(

The first one, although it definitely does look like HDR, could be with some nice powerful monolights and a little photoshop.

Second one could also be done with lights and shutter drag, and you'd eliminate the nasty ghosting.

And they were certainly both shot very wide, as everyone else has said.

(what Battou said (looking at the thread for a while before replying) probably happens a lot too)

I do it all the time, I open a handfull of threads from the new posts list then go threw them one by one.

*EDIT*

Sometimes two or three posts appear :lol:

I am new here, so don't know all of the rules, but am wondering about someone posting copyrighted work of another here. Does this happen often? :(

Yes there are rules dissalowing it and no it does not happen often.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back