what do i need?

Fleacz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey i've decided to try a photoshoot with some model/friends, but i dont know if there is some equipment or lenses that are highly suggested for photoshoots. can someone point me in the right direction ? or does it all depend on location and ect.

Portrait work usually calls for prime lenses, on and off camera flash, polarizers/diffusers/reflectors a camera and YOU! lol

I will enlighten you, but I will also say it's funny that you want to do a photoshoot but don't know what a prime lens is.

A prime lens has a fixed aperture and can have very large apertures, like 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2, ect...

I will enlighten you, but I will also say it's funny that you want to do a photoshoot but don't know what a prime lens is.

A prime lens has a fixed aperture and can have very large apertures, like 1.2, 1.4, 1.8, 2, ect...
Sorry Epp, that's not quite correct. A prime lens has a fixed focal length (ie, it's NOT a zoom lens). 50 and 85mm prime lenses are common portrait lengths. With the advances in technology, modern high-end zooms perform just as well - I've shot many portraits with my 24-70. A lens with a large maximum aperture (also known as a 'fast' lens) is considered desirable because it will allow you to acheive a shallow depth of field.

A fast lens is a good choice like mentioned above. Gives great shallow DOF to knock the background out of focus. I also prefer a prime lens like also mentioned, because I feel it gives a better quality image. I use my 105 mm macro, both a prime and a fast lens... wonderful for portrait work.

A reflector is a must when working with natural light. You can buy one or go out and get a cheap white card stock. If you want to buy one, I find having white and silver is the most useful. Gold is nice too if you want a very warm effect.

That's pretty much the minimum you need.

50mm 85mm are my faves for portraits, but primes will cost you alot more. Let us know what body your shooting with and we can advise a bit more specific about kit. To start i would bother about lighting, the best kit to start would be a reflector, cheap and so dam effective,

tirediron said:
Sorry Epp, that's not quite correct. A prime lens has a fixed focal length (ie, it's NOT a zoom lens). 50 and 85mm prime lenses are common portrait lengths. With the advances in technology, modern high-end zooms perform just as well - I've shot many portraits with my 24-70. A lens with a large maximum aperture (also known as a 'fast' lens) is considered desirable because it will allow you to acheive a shallow depth of field.

I misstyped lol. I was going on 40+ hours without sleep so an easy mistake under those conditions haha. I've been using prime lenses for well over 15 years, I definitely know what one is. Thanks for catching the goof tho!

This question is very hard to almost impossible to answer because what one photographer needs another might not. The situation you are in; the type of shots you want to take; the lighting; the personal style of the photographer and the models; the overall budget (this is often very key).

There is a whole range of possibilities - the only way to make the right choice before is to assess the situation and the finances. Once you have more specific criteria you can then start to approach the gear market with an eye to what best will fit your budget and needs and give the best quality increase over what you have currently.

It really depends where you shooting ...what your using for equipement .. studio or site ...how much you want to invest ...what camera body your using ....need to glue us in on some of the stuff!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back