What do u experts think her set up is?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Mamarazzi514, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Mamarazzi514

Mamarazzi514 TPF Noob!

Love her work:www.skyejohansen.comWhat do u think her light setup is? I think she uses only 1 light and a reflector? I'm very curious. I think she either uses a beauty dish or a octobox. What do u experts think?

2. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Looks pretty much like a one light setup through a shoot through umbrella maybe between 4 and 7 feet from the subject, mounted high on the facing down on the child.

That would be my guess anyway. Big soft light.

Also with a 5D Mark II, and 85mm prime lens.

Edit: Yeah, upon looking at it more closely, it's an octabox. Possibly a side reflector to minimize shadows.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  3. Rephargotohp

Rephargotohp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Giant Octobox, just over her shoulder

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I looked and virtually all of the indoor kid portraits were shot with an almost totally, 100% identical setup. One BIG round umbrella camera left. I do not think it is a shoot-through though. It throws a very soft shadow and the lighting looks a bit crisper than many shoot-throughs yield. I suspect it is a large, 60 inch diameter or bigger, round light, and it looks like she typically stands in front of it...her head takes a small "chunk" out of the highlights on many shots, down at the 5 o'clock position. Could be an octabox, or maybe something even a bit MORE-rounded, like a 10-rib design, or maybe even one of the new Paul C. Buff PLMs.

Perhaps she would tell you? Does she have a blog that references her equipment?

5. SabrinaO

SabrinaO TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with the above, although i'm no "expert". lol

6. Mamarazzi514

Mamarazzi514 TPF Noob!

Woah how do u know down to the camera and lense?

7. Mamarazzi514

Mamarazzi514 TPF Noob!

She stands in front? I don't think so, cause shouldn't her light be 45degress from her camera?

8. Mamarazzi514

Mamarazzi514 TPF Noob!

How big do u think her octabox is? I have a 36 inch. I like how her shadows are hard and soft at the same time. Is there any modifiers she uses I don't know, barn doors or something? I don't know too much about light modifiers. I just usually use my shoot thrus

9. MWC2

MWC2 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you can take her mentoring class and she does give info on her lighting set-up (I read the mentoring section of her webpage). 2 classes $1,200.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rephargotohp

Rephargotohp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not really, that where most people starting out place them..but not really...depends what lighting Style you are looking for Loop Lighting? Butterfly, Clamshell? Rembrandt?

11. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Seems a bit steep if you're only going to learn a simple one light setup. All her shots are more or less the same lighting setup, just with different props... And she makes it out to seem like she'll teach you how to use actions in photoshop.

Maybe like a $200 course... Not $1,200. Not even 1,200 in Canadian currency. (which is where she is from)

12. Mamarazzi514

Mamarazzi514 TPF Noob!

I like hers haha what style lighting does she have? Also mwac thanks for the info but I don't see a 2nd page on her lighting setup?