what do you think i could sell this for? D700, some damage to case, flash bulb broke

osirus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So i just upgraded from a d700 to a d800
i was thinking of selling the 700
only thing..

about a year ago i picked up the camera and was carrying it by cradling the lens (nikon 80-200 f 2.8)
somehow the lens wasnt clicked into the body fully and as i was walking the camera tumbled off, onto concrete.
at first i thought it was fine.. didnt notice any damage, continued shooting.
about 10 mins later i noticed the crack where it says nikon and on the popup flash
looks like it landed right on the popup flash
it doesn't automatically popup anymore, and the flash bulb is broken inside.
other than that it works perfectly, and i have used it for over a year since.( i had a wedding to shoot 6 days after i dropped it)
and i still use it alongside my d800 today
i was quoted $500 from henrys and another local camera shop if i sent it away to nikon. but i saved that $500 for the D800 instead

so i did plan on repairing it myself,and do have a brand new pop up flash unit i purchased that i will include with the camera, it just needs to be installed.
as well as the D700 repair manual showing how to do it.

and theres 2 more case bits that need to be replaced to get it to look mint again.
they cost $30 and $120 on ebay when i looked.

If i put this for sale, what do you think i should ask? would get?

With this limited information, my best guess would be to deduct the cost of the repair from the asking price, include the parts you mentioned it, and then price it according to the rest of its condition. They're going for about $1400-1800 for just the camera, depending on condition. For reference, I'm selling my D700 for $1775 net, and I'm including a RRS L-plate and extra battery.

I am not saying this to denigrate your gear but any time you sell some kit and its broken the person buying it must go into it assuming the worst case scenario. If it were me personally I would get the camera serviced and then sell it after servicing rather than sell it with the defect. Doing so as is you most likely cannot expect any buyer retailer or private to want to give more than about $400 or $500 because they are assuming risk that something else is wrong and that it might cost more money to correct or that there may be an issue that cannot be correct. If the later is true then they are placing a $400 or $500 bet and investing $500 on a repair and loosing all their investment.

I hope you see what I am getting , were it me and you know everything is ok sans the cracked housing I would just get it fixed then sell it at the current market value for the used model price.

I agree with the advice to go ahead with the repairs yourself and THEN sell it. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk on a camera that needs repairs like that unless it were a price I just couldn't pass up.

So, you already have the pop-up flash parts (although you don't say how much they cost you). I have absolutely NO idea how much that would be, but let's just say $100 (then adjust the calculation for whatever it really is).
So, $100 on that part, another $150 for the other two parts you mentioned, plus a little time to make the repairs. In that case, for $250, assuming that is all that is wrong with the camera, you should be able to sell for at least the bottom range of what james mentioned, $1400. You make $1150.

If you try to sell it under the existing conditions, I just don't see getting $1150 out of it. So, it seems like you'd be better off fixing it before you sell it. IMO.

Ill give you $1000 for it, providing the rest of the body is in good shape/working order etc.

stevo8 said:
Ill give you $1000 for it, providing the rest of the body is in good shape/working order etc.

There you go. New Guy's solving problems with his first post ever!

Welcome to the forum, New Guy!
no better way to start your forum career with such a bold move of slapping some money on the table.

I commend your bravery sir. Onward into the breech . Godspeed and damn the torpedoes.

Why not take the camera to a local repair shop (along with the parts you have) and let them fix it? They can also give the body a good going-over. That way, you'll end up with a camera you can sell with total confidence.

Thanks, been a lurker for a bit. I know its a big risk but based on the op posting months and months ago that he broke his flash assembly, and hes been using it since then, I have faith in nikon that the camera can take a beating and nothing else will be an issue. I wouldnt ever use the factory flash anyways, and was a 5d2 user for a while so Im accustomed to not having one anyways.

stevo8 said:

There you go. New Guy's solving problems with his first post ever!

Welcome to the forum, New Guy!
no better way to start your forum career with such a bold move of slapping some money on the table.

It's beautiful watching a relationship blossom with money talking!

Replacing the flash unit entails exposure to some dangerously high voltages potentially stored in the flash units main capacitor.

As long as the person doing the repair is familiar with the required safety aspects/procedures, it should be a fairly simple repair job to replace the flash unit.

Most reactions

Back