What do you think of these? Odd lighting

ga_shooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at a build a bear party this weekend and the lighting was all flourescent and the entire room is reflective and yellow and it was HELL!!! Please tell me what you think of this? thanks...

1473294908_fca1fb2a12_b.jpg

1473286416_f2e4b7823b_b.jpg

1472423395_42de8fe6f2_b.jpg

1472383831_35b35a28bc_b.jpg

I don't like it. Too much in focus, and the kid and mother are both wearing colours that blend into the background. Next time manually set your white balance as well...the whole picture has a weird colour cast.

I don't like it. Too much in focus, and the kid and mother are both wearing colours that blend into the background. Next time manually set your white balance as well...the whole picture has a weird colour cast.

Thats what i was trying to do!! I couldn't get it right though. Everything came out that way, and i had it manually set. Then i was playing with it in light room and it was just impossible to adjust to get rid of it. Any suggestions? Or anything I can do after the fact?

Thats what i was trying to do!! I couldn't get it right though. Everything came out that way, and i had it manually set. Then i was playing with it in light room and it was just impossible to adjust to get rid of it. Any suggestions? Or anything I can do after the fact?

Did you try using a white card? That would have helped if you had not.

You can use lightroom, but it's hard to judge sometimes. The tint thing makes it that much more difficult as well. Auto did not help? What about selecting fluorescent? I'm just making sure you tried all of the obvious things...

I also didn't see all of them the first time. The picture of the one guy is kinda neat...

I love the way you captured the little girl in #2.

Did you use an external flash or the built-in? With fluorescent lights you can use a .... I'm losing it....I think a green gel to balance the light, it could be blue on an external. You could probably afix it to a built-in as well.

I think a shallower DOF on #1,2 & 3 may have helped. What was your lens choice?

I didn't use a whitecard, I didn't have one with me. The WB was set on Florescent in the camera, then when i got it into lightroom i put it in florescent or auto and either way it still didn't look right. I wanted it to be obvious where we were and what we were doing so i went more with a story telling DOF, didn't work out the way i'd hoped, it was too much.
The lens was my 28-135mm, i took a few more with the 10-22mm but i haven't pulled them out yet. Maybe they will be better. Overall they were hard shooting conditions for someone of my limited knowledge and ability.

In a pinch, use a piece of typing / copy paper. Most such paper has had a little bluing added to it to make it appear brighter, but it will be closer than the yellow / orange cast in these shots. I like to use a WB / Exposure target from PhotoVision like this: http://www.photovisionvideo.com/target.html The small 6" version takes up no space and can be hung around your neck so it's always available. Even if you don't have time to set a custom WB, shoot a frame of the target in each lighting condition and keep it in the folder with the shots taken in that light. You can correct the target to perfect exposure and WB, then batch correct the other shots in that group. If you have to do post on a folder full of files, this can make the work flow much simpler and less painful.

I played w/this one a little bit in PS. I adjusted the saturation of yellow and green....I also brightened it up a bit in curves.

I played w/this one a little bit in PS. I adjusted the saturation of yellow and green....I also brightened it up a bit in curves.

Tons better! THe hard part is that the way that the place looks in the pictures is really what it looks like there, so the background is spot on but the people look awful.

Three and four are good - the others look weak in comparison - perhaps they need some background blur and better composition.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back