What do you think of this lens and body combo?

mjcmt

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I only use one camera, a X100T and plan on still using it. I looked at the 1.4x tele converter lens to make it a 50mm but the converter is such a big pig.

To add versatility and keep size to the minimum I'm considering a x-E3 or x-T30. I'm a left eye shooter wearing glasses so the E3 has the edge on usability for me, but neither has long viewfinder eye relief.

The lenses I'm looking at are the 50 2.0 and 16 2.8. If I like it will sell the 100T and add a 23 2.0 lens.

What do you say about the bodies and lenses?

Last edited:
Ok, then I'll substitute the xPro3 for the xE3 or the xT30 as my body choices w/ the same question about bodies and lenses.

What are you shooting?

Want an X-E3? Then buy one. Fuji hasn't formally announced its demise, so I'd take that breathless news flash at Fuji Rumors as infotainment. They are apparently discounted in some markets now, so the end could be near. You might also look around for a discounted XT-3 or even a clean used XT-2. Like SquarePeg asked, what are you shooting? The 16/23/35/50mm Fujicrons aren't wildly pricey and there's really not a dud among them. If you've got an X-100T, you might skip the 23mm. The 50mm is very nice short portrait lens. The 16mm is a wee bit soft wide open, OK+ at f4 but quite sharp by f5.6.

I looked hard at the X-E3 last Xmas but passed due to its too-small size(even with the Fuji hand grip), the tiny touch screen and the plasticky build compared to the solidity of the all-metal X-100T. I'd have another look only if Fuji ran a sayonara discount promo.

Thanks for heads up on 16 being soft wide open. That may be a deal breaker. 50 2.0 seems like a good choice w/ a 23 2.0.
After further thought, I'm in two minds on xe3 if I can find one, so I may wait. The expensive xpro3 is more to my liking, I just have to figure where the money will come from.

Thanks for heads up on 16 being soft wide open. That may be a deal breaker. 50 2.0 seems like a good choice w/ a 23 2.0.
After further thought, I'm in two minds on xe3 if I can find one, so I may wait. The expensive xpro3 is more to my liking, I just have to figure where the money will come from.

To be fair, "soft" is a highly subjective term. The X-100T's 23/2 is less sharp a f/2, especially close, than the 16/2.8. Don't think I ever shoot my 16mm wider than f/4. A very compact, affordable 24mm equivalent.

Thanks cgw.
I looked up some reviews and it's may be as good than what I shoot in the past w/ film. I would definitely use it wide open often and wish there was a compact 16mm 2.0 lens. It's still on the table for consideration.
I'm leaning on keeping my x100T and dreaming of xPro3 (maybe more affordable xT30) and 16 2.8, 23 2.0, 50 2.0.

Note: My favorite lenses back with in the film days with a Nikon F3 were a 20 2.8, 35 1.4, 85 1.4, plus a 180 2.8. I could duplicate those same lenses with Fuji x (14/23/58) but it becomes too expensive, plus I want smaller these days, so that's why I'm thinking about the 16/23/50 combo. I'm not sure if my shooting style has changed since then as well so taking it slow.

My X100T never disappoints. During the mandatory leisure most of us endured, I edited and remixed a pile of files and couldn't ignore the high percentage of keepers it produced. Just a delightful everyday/walkaround/candid/vacation camera. I don't find the 16mp limits me much aside from some constraint on extreme cropping. I kept looking late last year for deals on an X-Pro2 that never surfaced after the X-Pro3 debut--no stock or paper-thin discounts. Do think you'd enjoy the Fuji 50/2 if you liked the 85-ish perspective--very sharp and nice bokeh.

After researching prices I was just going to sit down and add my final thoughts when I saw your post Cgw and I concur. The truth is I really can't afford to upgrade or expand shooting versatility. I will have to continue to shoot with my x100T, perfect the use of it, and hone my photography skills. It's done well for the last 4 years and will have to continue to fulfill its duty as my camera. It may be restrictive in focal length and close ups, but it's fine for 75% of what I shoot. It was an upgrade in image quality from my previous little Canon G10, and the image quality it plenty good for the internet and even prints.

Most reactions

Back