What does an advanced body give you that a beginner body doesn't?

K200d has weather sealing and it's a lower model. (But I don't know of a "LOT" that have them *shrug*)

Perhaps most crucially, a bigger, faster button layout allowing instant access to ISO, WB, mode etc. without having to slew through a million menus.

If a camera that got 50,000 shutter clicks costs $1000 and a camera that got 150,000 shutter clicks costs $2000 then the cheaper camera costs 1.5 times as much to shoot per shot. A hobbyist is unlikely to wear out their camera, a pro is.

If a hobbyist misses a shot because they can't maneuver through their menus fast enough they get to gripe about it on a camera forum. If a pro misses a shot for the same reason- they don't get paid.

If a hobbyist has their camera knocked off a table by a three year old, they tell their kid to go to bed and send the camera off to be repaired. If a pro has their camera knocked off a table by a three year old- they pick it up and keep shooting.

Pretty easy really.

Thanks, guys. That's what I wanted to know. So its overall easier to use, better compatibility, durability, and IQ that make the price.

eh? i don't know of any lower end bodies that have weather sealing (assuming since you're comparing a d300, you don't consider that lower end)

Pentax?

A good rule of thumb: If you spend more on your camera body then you do on your lenses, then you spent too much on the camera body.

Reasons I chose D300 over D90. Wireless capability, stronger body, more weather sealing, higher shutter life by 50% more actuations, better af module, more file type choice (has TIFF), 100% viewfinder, faster shutter, faster fps, larger auto bracketing range, and a biggie for me, can use non cpu lenses and still get metering and flash options (can tell camera the lens). So for 50% more in price I get alot of options that for me are desirable. I also like the larger body feel in my hands.

Depends. A shutter for a D90 will be closer to 500-700 bucks US. For someone that has killed the shutter of their camera from as many pics (and spent a few years doing so), will VERY likely rather put that extra 500 bucks into something newer and better rather than putting in money into (by then) very outdated technology.

that's true. I guess I was basing it off what I've heard the cost is for a canon rebel series shutter.

I guess the difference then is that the shutter for the consumer bodies are generally durable enough for the needs of a hobbyist (I don't really hear about hobbyists having to worry much about shutter length on their bodies). because they just don't take that many photos.

sure. of course... if a kid knocks the camera off the table, and it breaks the lens, then the fact that the body didn't break doesn't really help you.

What does this have to do with anything? If the body breaks and the lens doesn't you're screwed. But really, WTF does this have to do with this conversation? I think I missed something.

sorry village idiot... it was in response to Mike_E when he said
If a hobbyist has their camera knocked off a table by a three year old, they tell their kid to go to bed and send the camera off to be repaired. If a pro has their camera knocked off a table by a three year old- they pick it up and keep shooting.

that's true. I guess I was basing it off what I've heard the cost is for a canon rebel series shutter.

I guess the difference then is that the shutter for the consumer bodies are generally durable enough for the needs of a hobbyist (I don't really hear about hobbyists having to worry much about shutter length on their bodies). because they just don't take that many photos.
Im a hobby shooter and, do worry about shutter life. I actually shoot alot. My D80 is near its supposed shutter life but, I think that a camera can go way past it if you have a regular cleaning schedule for your equipment. Keeping the dust out, which is why the better builds are worth the money as well. If they keep water out better then they keep the dust out better.

Im a hobby shooter and, do worry about shutter life. I actually shoot alot. My D80 is near its supposed shutter life but, I think that a camera can go way past it if you have a regular cleaning schedule for your equipment. Keeping the dust out, which is why the better builds are worth the money as well. If they keep water out better then they keep the dust out better.

Cleaning the camera has no impact on shutter life-- it's a mechanical device, it will wear out when it wears out. The wear out period may in fact not reflect what the listed numbers are-- it could go out early or last forever. My 1DmkIIn went out at 70k, but I got a new shutter for free so I'm not too worried... and it's gone strong past 70k more.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back