What does 'Fast' mean?

It means a large maximum aperture - which means a large piece of glass in front - which means you pay a lot more.

A fast 200mm lens would be something like a 200mm lens with a maximum aperture of 2.8.

One that would not be as fast would be one with a maximum aperture of, say, 4.5. As you surely already know, the smaller the aperture number, or F-Stop, the wider open it can get, allowing more light income, thus letting you shoot, as said, with a faster shutter speed, which minimizes motion blur in the image caused from camera shake.

How does this affect the other side of the coin? What differences are there between a "fast" and "slow" lens in the very small apertures?

Also, if my camera as an f27 setting, does that mean any lens I attach to the body will shoot at f27?

mountainlander said:
How does this affect the other side of the coin? What differences are there between a "fast" and "slow" lens in the very small apertures?

There is usually no difference. A "fast" lens just has a larger max aperture than a "slow" lens.

the way i think about it....if you have a lens that has a max aperature of 4.5 it won't perform as well at 4.5 as a lens with a max aperature of 2.8 or so....am i right?

willg133 said:
the way i think about it....if you have a lens that has a max aperature of 4.5 it won't perform as well at 4.5 as a lens with a max aperature of 2.8 or so....am i right?

It is often said that a lens will be it's sharpest a couple of stops closed down from wide open. That is a popular generalization, but it may or may not be true, depending on the particular lens. There are always exceptions to the rule.

The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 manual focus lens is said to be sharper at f/1.8 than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 is at f/1.8

There are folks who claim the 75mm f/3.5 planar on a Rollei TLR is sharper at f/3.5 than the 80mm f/2.8 version at f/3.5

I'm sure there are folks who would debate these examples, but there are many, many posts on the internet saying it is so.

willg133 said:

yes and no.

Generally the fast 2.8's are made of much higher quality glass then their 4.5 brethrin.

mountainlander said:
Also, if my camera as an f27 setting, does that mean any lens I attach to the body will shoot at f27?

I think not! If you attach some lens that has minimum aperture at f16, you won't be able to shoot at f27.

So, you have the camera with f setting on it's body? As I know, such setting may work properly only if the lens supports using of that particular feature.

For example, Nikon F-100 has f control on it's body. But if you attach for example Helios lens on F-100 body, the only way to set the aperture would be by operating aperture ring placed on the lens. If you set camera's f setting to f8 while aperture ring on Helios is set to f4, the camera will shoot at f4!

Similar thing is with autofocus - you may use the autofocus feature only if you have an AF lens attached!

Contra|Brett| said:
Generally the fast 2.8's are made of much higher quality glass then their 4.5 brethrin.

That is definately what the salepeople are going to tell you ;) Their mantra is more money equals better stuff. Personal testing (or by a friend you trust) is really the only way to tell for sure.

KizaHood said:
I think not! If you attach some lens that has minimum aperture at f16, you won't be able to shoot at f27.

So, you have the camera with f setting on it's body? As I know, such setting may work properly only if the lens supports using of that particular feature.

For example, Nikon F-100 has f control on it's body. But if you attach for example Helios lens on F-100 body, the only way to set the aperture would be by operating aperture ring placed on the lens. If you set camera's f setting to f8 while aperture ring on Helios is set to f4, the camera will shoot at f4!

Similar thing is with autofocus - you may use the autofocus feature only if you have an AF lens attached!

Hmm, good point. I just haven't ever noticed a lense advertising its upper f settings. Maybe I better check that out on my lenses.....

mountainlander said:
Hmm, good point. I just haven't ever noticed a lense advertising its upper f settings.

Generally the typical small aperture for 35mm lenses is f/22. You can find some wide angle lenses that only go to f/16. There are zooms that go up to f/32 or f/45 when used at longer focal lengths; this is because they are designed to go to f/22 at the shorter focal lengths, and the math changes (not the actual size of the aperture) with the longer focal lengths, resulting in f/32 or f/45.

f/# = focal length divided by size of aperture
size of aperture = focal length divided by f/#

A 50mm lens set at f/2 has an aperture size of 25mm

A 100mm lens set at f/2 has an aperture size of 50mm

A zoom lens set at 100mm and f/22 has an aperture size of approx 4.5mm

Change the focal length on the zoom lens to 200mm without adjusting the aperture size, and it's now approx f/45

Some higher end zoom lenses do adjust aperture size, so that when you change the focal length from 100 to 200, the f/# does remain the same.

You can see why longer focal length lenses usually don't open up as far as f/2, they would have to be very big.

Canon used to make a rangefinder that had a 50mm f/0.9 lens available. The lens dwarfed the camera. At f/0.9 it has a wider aperture than the focal length of the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back