What filter is this?

wanderer001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I was curious as to what kind of filter was used in this photo (a pic of Hank Schrader from Breaking Bad). I really like the way the background looks and would like to make some of my landscape photos look like that.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220924-204020_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220924-204020_Chrome.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 42
Hi, I was curious as to what kind of filter was used in this photo (a pic of Hank Schrader from Breaking Bad). I really like the way the background looks and would like to make some of my landscape photos look like that.

Thank you!
If the original was shot on color film, a tobacco filter would produce a similar color cast. With digital, who knows how it may have been photoshopped?

If the original was shot on color film, a tobacco filter would produce a similar color cast. With digital, who knows how it may have been photoshopped?
Thank you. Yes, it will be helpful to know how this can be recreated in photoshop.

Professional studio photo lighting.

I'd say in addition, judging visually, that background is cloned in, or a selection layer, and is a desaturated image with some blur added. I generally just use Gaussian blur, but that's me.

So they selected the portrait, then added the background layer, which was already blurred and edited. I see a slight white edge around the portrait.

If you are asking about the color and tones, of the portrait portion, my answer doesn't answer the question.

Last edited:
Thank you. Yes, it will be helpful to know how this can be recreated in photoshop.
Apart from being a bit presumptuous, you might simply experiment. The free Nik plug-ins(e.g., Color Efex Pro 4)will get you close. The precise recipe is up to you.

Wow! How simple things have become over complicated. I did a search so I could explain better and almost everything is videos. Can't people read anymore?

My fault, I was working the last week, Sunrise to Sunset (as hired help) and I didn't answer the question except saying Pro lighting. What I meant was, this could be a two or three or four light setup, back light to create an invisible background (that's the halo around the head) and one fill light - a softbox. main light in front, to create the portrait.

07-High-Key-Lighting-Diagram.jpg

This is just an example, not the specific image. The answer is, something shot similar to this, and then they superimposed the portrait, into a background image. But the halo around the subjects head, is how it is isolated enough to add any scene, behind the head, without much complication.

See the more direct light on the right side of his face (as we view it) and the subtle shadow on the left?

And again, if it's the color or toning, then that's a different question and I missed it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back