ashleysmithd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
ashleysmithd.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.

I've been doing photography for some while now, but I've just started getting into panoramics.

I was just wondering what focal length is best to ensure minimal distortion. Just as a rough guide.

Personally, I'd say a minimum 50mm (35mm equiv). That's with the camera turned on its vertical axis aswell.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

What kind of distortion? I've seen 17mm lenses with no barrel distortion at all. Or perspective distortion? In which case you're after 50mm. And don't confuse the perspective with the crop factor on digital cameras. A 38mm lens on digital may have the field of view as a 50mm on a film, but the perspectives will still be different.

What kind of distortion? I've seen 17mm lenses with no barrel distortion at all. Or perspective distortion? In which case you're after 50mm. And don't confuse the perspective with the crop factor on digital cameras. A 38mm lens on digital may have the field of view as a 50mm on a film, but the perspectives will still be different.
Ah.. I remember asking a question about how the perspective differs on a different forum, between say a 33mm lens on a digital camera with a 1.5x conversion factor, and a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. I got told that the field of view AND the perspective would be the same.

Out of interest, and I don't mean to sound 'disrespectful' to you as a photographer or anything, but is this something you've personally tested, or did you just hear it?

Reason I ask is because I want to do some portrait work, and I really want the perspective from a 105mm lens on a 35mm camera. I'm using a digital camera with a 1.5x conversion factor. But I don't want to go getting a 70mm lens if it will only offer me the same field of view. It's the perspective that means a lot to me.

As for the original question, I meant barrel distortion. You've seen a 17mm without any barrel distortion? Must have been a pretty crazy lens. I suppose it really depends on the quality of the lens... But just as a rough guide, I'm presuming 50mm would be fine. 105mm is maybe a little extreme.

I think you need a little clarification here. What kind of pans do you mean are you doing a composite of multiple shots are you just shooting and cropping you need to clarify a little.

Sorry the perspective is the same too (I'll use the excuse that I posted before my morning coffee). Should have known better since I use 3 of my 4 lenses on both the Nikon D200 and Nikon FE.

When considering between the cameras you need to consider where you stand and the focal length. So mounting a 105mm on an APS-C sensor means you will need to move 1.5x further away (thus changing perspective). To get back to your original perspective you would need 1/1.5x the focal length so 85mm. This is why I rarely use my 35-105mm on my digital. It is the perfect lens for my Nikon FE, and just a pain on the D200.

Distortion is a function of design and manufacturing quality of the lens. Not the focal length. The best focal length or any subject, including panoramas, is the one that provides the combination of image magnification and perspective you want for the image. So, there is no answer to your question as you pose it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back