what focal lenth is the 24-70mm on APS-c cameras

devaji108

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hoping some one can shed some like on this for me...I know it's a noob question
i have the nikon D5100 with is APS-C sensor so what does that make the 24-70mm in too. i believe X 1.5 is that correct?
would that make it a 36-105mm
am i correct or way off...

It's 24 mm to 70 mm.

What changes is the Field Of View (FoV). A crop sensor is smaller than a full frame sensor and the crop sensor cannot show the entire image circle the FX 24-70 mm lens projects.

sparky perfect just what I needed
cheers buddy...

so this my be another question that is ask all the time and might be covered the the thread you linked to, skimmed it but now under stand the FX Dx lenses better...
so what are the advantages of FF bodies?

More Image capturing surface = higher performance = the potential for better quality photos A full frame has 1.5 times the surface on its sensor than a crop sensor like the D7100. Bigger sensors usually mean bigger cameras which can be a drawback if you are trying to outrun a cheetah on the Serengeti. :)

..........so what are the advantages of FF bodies?

Wider field of views (landscape & architecture), better low-light performance, less noise.

Potentially better usable high ISO range (when comparing like for like bodies of similar ages the larger sensors always win over the smaller ones)

Greater degree of background blurring - about one stops worth when comparing like for like shots (generalist comment, its a bit more complicated than that, but essentailly bigger sensors means more background blurring)

Wider angle of view on focal lengths compared to the same focal lengths on crop sensor cameras.

This latter point is often the biggest one people talk about - mostly because for decades the 35mm film (which is the same size as "fullframe digital) was one of THE most popular film sizes in the casual and pro markets. As a result when crop sensor digital hit the market you got all these "its just like 1.5 times the normal range" normal being compared to 35mm. Of course if you've never shot 35mm/fullframe then you've no comparative experience to draw from so you're more going at it the other way since what you've seen on the crop sensor is your view of "normal"

That said for indoor portrait photography and similar situations the wider angle of view helps since it allows a photographer to use a telephoto instead of wide angle lens for many shots. This helps avoid perspective distortion (bits closer to the camera get enlarged over those further away) and is why the larger sensors are still popular today.

A full frame has 1.5 times the surface on its sensor than a crop sensor like the D7100.
A full frame image sensor has 2.4x the surface area (864 sq mm) of a Nikon crop sensor (367 sq mm).

There is a 1.5x difference in the Field-of-View (crop factor).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back