What goes down must come up?

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Certainly is the case in Osprey dives. I got this sequence this morning and still am a little shocked just how good the D500 is. I took 50 shots in about 5 seconds in this sequence and the only 3 it missed were my fault. Group AF is like magic! I'm only posting a few of the sequence and then a few other Ospreys from this morning.. Thanks for looking and comments welcome..

1 This is when I got excited. I had almost left my spot three times, but couldn't quite drag myself away..
Osprey Dive Sequence 9_9 1/10 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

2 I knew it was show time.. Heavy crop
Osprey Dive Sequence 9_9 2/10 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

3 The osprey started out headed left to right and the flopping fish was an issue...
Osprey Dive Sequence 9_9 6/10 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

4 Oh yeah, turned right towards me
Osprey Dive Sequence 9_9 10/10 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

5 Here is what ISO 4000 looks like with no noise reduction..
Osprey 9_9 High ISO by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

6 Overstuffed the frame on this one...
Osprey 9_9 too close by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

7 A bit more artsy than normal...
Osprey Back-lit 9_9 by Kristofer Rowe, on Flickr

Great set Kris! Looks like you have everything dialed in on that d500.

Incredible. 4 is just wow. Your shots show how amazing these birds truly are.

Amazing set, the last one is my favorite for sure. Composition, light, intensity, story, clarity, color, etc etc ... it's all there.

DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look at the feather curl on 4.
*jealousy*
You must take me to your spot. :D

I was thinking the same thing, then reality set in... I doubt mine would even come close to his unless I got lucky.

I doubt mine would even come close to his unless I got lucky.

Don't even think about it like that. Shots like that come with lots of practice, patience and time in the field (and a certain investment in gear). Maybe your shots don't often turn out like his now, but that's not to say that they can't be that way one day. Plus, that's the excitement of photography, isn't it? It's not to capture great images ASAP- it's to learn the craft, and watch with excitement as your skills progress and you achieve your photographic goals. I look back on some of my early bird photography and I know they aren't great photos, but I love them anyway because at that time they were the most awesome ones I could create. It took me years to capture the cormorant I think you've seen up here. Capturing the moment where a Pelican's beak just breaks the water in any clear and up-close way still eludes me (I might never get it now that I don't live in FL). But, I still look forward to trying to get it and improve.

Wow!!! After that, words fail me.

#2 and #4 are my favs. Do you set up a blind ... Hike around ... Find a spot and wait ... How do you typically get these shots?

Thanks for all the kind words!

Most of my open water shots are at a Causeway, I just sit on the slimy rocks at waters edge and wait. If I have winds that are westerly I don't bother going to that spot. The ones with a background are from various spots I hike around at. I normally wear some form of camo, but as I have said before it's so that people hopefully don't see me and start asking dumb questions about how far I can see with me lens..

Most reactions

Back