What has happened to my battery life?

Is it a Nikon MB-D80 grip?

I've never seen a grip that was powered separately from a camera body.

In my experiences the battery grip on/off button controls the status of the grip shutter and other controls - some people like to turn it off to prevent pressing the grip shutter or spinning the grip wheel and changing settings by accident. Otherwise the on/off button there shouldn't have any effect on battery life

I read that the newer batteries do not like to be drained fully - it actually shortens their life, as does running regularly at high temperatures. I've had my D90 and one battery for 1 year and generally recharge it before it gets below 1/2 charge (unless I kill it further while shooting). I've noticed little decrease in performance. I have about 14,000 shutter actuations. I do expect it now to start to show a faster rate of discharge as time goes on. I think life span is often approx 2 yrs depending on use/abuse.

The older rechargeable batteries did need to be drained completely to maintain life, but not the type that come with the D90. I used to have a link that described this in detail. I'll see if I can find it later.

I've also seen somewhere that VR lenses seem to drain batteries a bit quicker, but I've not really noticed that. Then again I don't really pay that much attention to that.

Last edited:
it's this one Zeikos ZE-NBG90 Power Battery Grip ZE-NBG90 - B&H Photo Video. It does have a power switch just like the one on my camera, but it doesn't seem to operate the power to the camera...
That is not a power switch.

Your Zeikos grip users manual explains that switch enables and disables the grip's shutter release.

Try using the camera without the 3rd party, Chinese made grip on it for a few days.

It's been working fine with my "3rd party, Chinese made grip" for a year. Sorry it doesn't have a Nikon logo on it. :er:

it's this one Zeikos ZE-NBG90 Power Battery Grip ZE-NBG90 - B&H Photo Video. It does have a power switch just like the one on my camera, but it doesn't seem to operate the power to the camera...
That is not a power switch.

Your Zeikos grip users manual explains that switch enables and disables the grip's shutter release.

Try using the camera without the 3rd party, Chinese made grip on it for a few days.

It's been working fine with my "3rd party, Chinese made grip" for a year. Sorry it doesn't have a Nikon logo on it. :er:
Just a statement of fact.

You cannot eliminate the grip as a possible source of the problem if you don't take it off the camera.

I regret even trying to help and won't make that mistake in one of your threads again. I apologize, it was my mistake to remove you from my Ignore List.

I haven't had time yet to try it with a fully charged battery and no grip. As I said though, I put one battery in at a time after the camera was unable to turn on, thinking there was a connection problem with the grip. Neither battery had enough power to turn the camera on, hence why I thought it might be a battery problem. Same problem with and without the grip should rule out the grip.

I'm off to buy more 3rd party, Chinese made parts for my camera.

wow dude, calm down....theres a reason 3rd party grips are cheaper.
he wasnt ****ting on you for buying one, merely stating that you shouldnt rule it out.
breathe.

im curious to see what the culprit is myself.

I'm just tired of hearing the attitudes about OEM equipment. I hang out with a local BMW club and all these schmucks are always acting like their car will explode if they don't use BMW OEM equipment or factory approved fluids. In actuality, there are options which are better or the same for less money. It's the same principle applied here. Just because it says Nikon, doesn't mean it's better.

That said, I'm going to try one battery in the body itself and see what happens. If it drains slowly, then it's the grip, and if it drains quickly then I can safely say the batteries are dead.

indeed. sounds like it will be a process of elimination.
i also use a 3rd party grip on my backup body, but i went into it knowing full well that it may not be up to par with the nikon...money talks, ya know? :D

i hope you do get it worted out, and post up what you find out.
you got me curious.

It could be the charging unit or the battery. I had the same exact scenario with my D90 and the battery was genuine Nikon and it was in the body. Happen from day one, with the battery life lasted only a few days even without being used.

While I don't have this issue as such, I have noticed my battery reading as 87% charged when I put in back in the camera after charging, and it's brand new too...

This could be faulty batteries, if one is faulty then it can put more strain on the other when in use, this happens to a lot of my electronics when I mix up the batteries for example. try removing the grip and shooting with just the one battery at a time? see if that makes any difference.

And to add to the RAW thing, I'm getting around 800 shots, with reviewing a lot between shooting (I'm at work and bored so I look through em :D)

Maybe your batteries had been charged/discharged too much, it lead to the capacity reduce! If you want to take more pictures, I suggest to buy a battery grip.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back