What is a Olympus 14-45mm 3.5-5.6 lens best at?

photowarrior15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just picked this lens up from a friend of mine. He switched to Nikon and really didnt use his Olym equipment much, so I was wondering what is it best for, Landscape, portrait etc.?

Traditionally wide angle lenses are used for landscape photography. With the 4/3rds sensors you get a x2 crop, so the field of view is like a 28-90mm lens on a full frame camera. You can use the lens for any type of photography you want. I've used wide angle lenses for portraits and super-telephoto lenses for landscape shots. With that being said, the angle of view won't give the most flattering compression on the face for close up portraits but, for environmental ones, it will be fine.

Obviously it won't be the best for wildlife shots because it lacks the pulling power of a 300mm+ lens. You'd have to get close to your subjects to achieve the same. Not impossible but certainly a lot more difficult and potentially dangerous depending on the subject matter. Just don't fall into the trap of defining lens use by the focal length, as you only limit your creativity.

Ok, thanks. Another quick question. I know to put a 4/3 lens on a micro 4/3 body i need a adapter, but can a micro 4/3 lens go on a 4/3 Body?

I'll have to defer that to someone with more knowledge of the Micro 4/3 system. I know that the sensor distances are vastly different (20mm if I remember rightly), which is why you require the adapter for the 4/3 on the M4/3 bodies. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

I'd say that lens is probably good for taking photos ;). It's not very good as a hammer.

You can get some nice, older glass pretty cheap, all you need is the proper adapter. Google it, you will see. I know someone with an Olympus pen and he uses Canon FD lens on it with a simple mount adapter if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks. Another quick question. I know to put a 4/3 lens on a micro 4/3 body i need a adapter, but can a micro 4/3 lens go on a 4/3 Body?

No, it's a longer registration distance between the lens mount and the sensor. If you were to somehow adapt the lens, it would focus only very close up.

You can get some nice, older glass pretty cheap, all you need is the proper adapter. Google it, you will see. I know someone with an Olympus pen and he uses Canon FD lens on it with a simple mount adapter if I am not mistaken.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

when I had my E-PL5, i picked up a mint Konica 57mm f/1.2 lens at the flea market sitting on an old minolta camera for $20.
ordered a cheap adapter for it on ebay and stuck it on the Oly. you can get an adapter for pretty much any lens for m4/3.

Oly E-PL5 with Konica AR 57mm f/1.2 by pixmedic, on Flickr

It is a good, cheap, walk around zoom as long as the lighting is okay. The slower app means longer shutter times. I use mostly primes on my EM10 but when I take my daughter to the park and she is running around, a zoom is a good thing to have. And to be honest, it is not a bad one.

JMHP1599 by Jarrod Hills, on Flickr

This was taken with it. Feel free to follow the link and zoom in. It is a very competent lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back