What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

no edit. no color corrections. nothing done to the image at all...its simply the untouched RAW file when converted to TIFF. vanilla = original form without any mods or changes (no matter in which context used, photography, gaming, etc).

its a technical term used in every sphere be it photography, auto manufacturing, gaming, everything and anything that has a 'foundational' version will be refereed as 'vanilla'. anything after be it a change in engine mount, suspension, expansion pack, hardware revision would stop it being 'vanilla'.

edit: the vanilla 'product' does not mean the concept either. it has to be the first available unit to the public.

plain vanilla can be used in almost everything...... a plain vanilla interest rate swap is a swap that does not have other exotic options or provision. Just plain variable fix or a variable variable trading of interest payments.

So a plain vanilla tiff is just the original photo.

To me a "plain vanilla .TIFF file" means 1) flattened, with no layers 2) 8-bit, not 16-bit

3) with the extension .TIFF, I usually think of that as being for Macintosh, and I think of Windows operating systems as typically being more expecting of .TIF file extension, with the three-digit file type

Why 8-bit? If anything I would think Vanilla being the 16bit rendition since 8bit would imply downsampling and loss of information.

Why 8-bit? If anything I would think Vanilla being the 16bit rendition since 8bit would imply downsampling and loss of information.

Hard as it might be to believe, there are still software applications,and computer setups, that have trouble displaying 16 bit files...a plain vanilla .TIFF file is 8-bit to me...16-bit .TIFF files are, well, 16-bit TIFFs.

What is shocking is that something like 60 percent of the world's internet browsers are aged copies of Internet Explorer approaching 10 years old....many corporate and company networks have really dodgy machines,and deliberately run old versions of IE that are not compatible with Facebook and other "modern" apps that work best on "new" hardware and "new" OS variations and "new" browsers like Chrome, Safari,etc.

Old publishing software and antiquated image handling setups sometimes cannot handle even something as basic as a 16-bit .TIFF file, plus the file size penalty is usually pretty great on a 16 bit versus an 8-bit .TIFF. When an image is going to be printed as 120 x 300 pixels or screen printed on newsprint,etc, a large TIFF file in 8-bit is quite amply good. And anybody that wants "vanilla" will probably not expect 16-bit TIFFs...

Hard as it might be to believe, there are still software applications,and computer setups, that have trouble displaying 16 bit files...a plain vanilla .TIFF file is 8-bit to me...16-bit .TIFF files are, well, 16-bit TIFFs.

Yep ok fair enough

What is shocking is that something like 60 percent of the world's internet browsers are aged copies of Internet Explorer approaching 10 years old....many corporate and company networks have really dodgy machines,and deliberately run old versions of IE that are not compatible with Facebook and other "modern" apps that work best on "new" hardware and "new" OS variations and "new" browsers like Chrome, Safari,etc.

This is a chicken and egg thing. What came first the 200 computers that all run IE 6 out of the box, or the corporate intranet which is written specifically for IE 6 and would cost millions to redesign.

My work is like this. Everyone has fantastic modern Dell Latitude E6400 laptops and we're all forced to use IE6 simply because most of the software on the intranet just craps itself when we try to use Firefox. Although the intranet is all I use IE6 for :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back