mjcmt

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What is focus stacking and how do you do it? I only have Apple's 'Photos' editing program, so not sure if I can even do it. But I'd still like to know about it and the technique to do it. Thanks

You adjust the focus point across several images, then use an app to combine the in-focus portions of all the images into one, all-in-focus image.

You adjust focus either by physically moving the camera, or adjusting the lens.

Let me clarify so I can rap my head around it. I would take several shots focusing at various parts of the photo, then combine photos w/ a dedicated program so the outcome is everything is sharp and clear from foreground to infinity.

Not necessarily foreground to infinity. You may not need an infinity focus if part of the scene isn't that far away.

Focus stacking is usually used in maco / close-up photography. Getting a shot of the head of an insect won't need a shot focused at infinity.

Yes, that's it, commonly used in macro or other shallow depth of field situations. Some cameras can do this in camera, others you have to rely on post software to stack the images.

Needless to say, requires mounting on a tripod and maybe using a focusing rail to keep everything in the shot the same except focus.

For me, and others may have a different opinion, it all seems so simple, until I tried making a shot myself.

Yes, that's it, commonly used in macro or other shallow depth of field situations. Some cameras can do this in camera, others you have to rely on post software to stack the images.

Needless to say, requires mounting on a tripod and maybe using a focusing rail to keep everything in the shot the same except focus.

And there's issue number one. Keeping all the images aligned. Even though the software is suppose to be able to match them. Then if it's a macro, lighting. Perspective changes... I know there are people who do wonderful images. Let me explain... I don't. :uncomfortableness: But I'm going to try again soon enough, it's Winter.

I just think it all seems much easier sounding than it is to accomplish with success.

adjust focus either by (1) physically moving the camera, or (2) adjusting the lens.
1, This method that implies perspective changes and because the
FS software I use is not dealing with this in the best of ways.
2, This method is otherwise affected by focus lens breathing.

Both methods have their pros and cons.

Benz%20SLK.jpg

I play with focus stacking, handheld with manual focus or selecting different focus points. Usually no more than 8 shots and it's hit and miss whether I can hold still enough and whether focus breathing makes the image able to align. Stack in PS.

Coincidentally, a post today from the best focus stacker I've seen, @Johann Schutte check this out JSP

Nice info. This thread is educative and interesting.

I use focus stacking to photograph my wife's jewelry for our Facebook page, but closeup and macro is not the only use for focus stacking. Portrait and landscape photos can also benefit from front to back sharpness. For the Jewelry, I use the Focus Shift function of my Nikon Z7ii and then align and blend the frames in Photoshop. I get generally good results, and Photoshop automatically creates masks for each frame which can be edited later if it misses anything.

I've used it in wildlife photography when (1) the subject is close enough I can't get it all in focus, and (2) the light is low enough I need a large aperture. Those factors combined may give me insufficient depth of field. Technically, it's focus stacking, but what I usually end up doing is manually blending only 2 or 3 images. For example:

51722274524_e30b665093_c.jpg

and
51721615996_3e58bc9a23_c.jpg

To get
51722274499_4133271acb_c.jpg

I didn't shoot one the tail, though...

everyone has pretty much covered the issue. Have a play and come and show the results and or ask more questions
Have fun

Most reactions

New Topics

Back