What is high speed sync

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I keep watching videos with photographers with High speed sync (HSS) and just want to know what I need to accomplish this. Is it a cord? a special type of speedlite? camera?

right now I have a Canon 7D with a Yongnuo 560II, I am going to assume I need something different in order to accomplish HSS. What do I need?

I'm not sure if any 3rd party speedlights offer high speed sync. I know the 560 doesn't.

You need a Canon flash in order to accomplish high speed sync.

High speed sync is a special type of flash output, where the flash fires in very rapid succession, a series of micro-bursts, which are so rapidly-created and squelched, and so closely-spaced that to human eyes, the flash looks like one,single "Pop!", but which it most definitely is NOT. This type of flash output is produced only by high-tech speedlight units. This flash technology requires a camera body that offers HSS compatibility, in order to utilize this nifty capability.

This type of flash does not, I repeat, does NOT offer good motion-stopping abilities. Countless novices have used high speed synch set-ups, thinking that HSS will allow them to freeze things like golfballs dropped into water glasses, birds alighting on bird feeders,and so on; unfortunately, on high-speed motion, high speed synch actually produces BLURRY images many times! It is not one,single flash, but MANY flash events in very rapid succession.

The high speed sync name refers to the ability to use high SHUTTER speeds,often in bright light and or with wide lens apertures, so that fill-in flash can be used outdoors in bright light, using wide f/stops, to get shallow depth of field effects; High speed synch can allow the photographer to be free from being "stuck" at exposure settings like ISO 100 at 1/200 second at f/13...

Watch this video it should explain clearly what highspeed sync is as well as a few other flash functions

Last edited by a moderator:
^while it is a good explanation, he lost my attention after the first 30 seconds.

Definitely good to watch. I never realized why the fastest shutter I could use is 1/200.

Dang. That was good. Easy to understand for non-techie people like me.

I had an understanding of some of this, but this clears up a few things. Thanks, Keith.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
this is probably the 4th time i've watched this.the first time probably didn't hold my interest,either,but hopefully each viewing left a bit more in my skull.

I remember watching this youtube video ages ago, its been around for a while but it is indeed one of the best explanations of shutter speed/flash sync out there.
Anyone that didnt find this helpful probably didnt want to learn anyway :)

That was probably one of the best videos i've seen on you tube (except maybe girl drunk pranks:wink:) the level of informtion and clarity of delivery was ten out of ten

I'm not sure if any 3rd party speedlights offer high speed sync. I know the 560 doesn't.

You need a Canon flash in order to accomplish high speed sync.

Metz flashes will do HSS (or at least the AF50 and AF58 will).

Very good explanation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back