What's new

What is it!?

JTHphoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 22, 2005
Messages
4,387
Reaction score
73
Location
Phoenix, AZ
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
at least that's what I said when i first saw it. I've never seen anything like this before. It was about 3-4 inches long. I had to look it up on the internet, and apparently it is a caterpillar, the larvae of a cecropia moth - Hyalophora Cecropia. I think he's a little lost out here in Arizona...

I had a hard time with the DOF, I was trying to use a +3 close up filter a couple of inches from it, i think i may have been better off without it, and just cropping...

1)
cecropia.jpg



2) This is a cropped shot to get a close up of it's head/face area...
cecropia2.jpg



3)
cecropia3.jpg


-
 
I've seen those things before but never really knew what it was. Great captures!
 
That thing is real? Holy cow.. cool shots.
 
Are the multi-colored nubs supposed to be functional? A disquise or defense mechanism? Nifty looking creatures.
 
Chiller said:
That thing is real? Holy cow.. cool shots.
yep, it's real - definitely an odd little critter, I may not have believed it myself if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. :shock:

240shorty said:
Are the multi-colored nubs supposed to be functional? A disquise or defense mechanism? Nifty looking creatures.
From what I read they are suppose to look like stingers to keep the predators away but are completely harmless.

NeoDude said:
Jeez. I thought everybody knew what a caterpillar was.
I figured it for a moth caterpillar, but never seen one even close to this size, or shape with all the spikes... (i guess i'm just easily amused...) :mrgreen:

Great captures!
very awesome shots, just excellent!
Thanks! Just wanted to share...
 
I don't know much about them but iv'e seen similar things in NY too.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom