What is the difference really?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a half decent macro lens for my new D40/60. (cant decide which one Im getting) and I was wondering if there is that much of a difference in quality if I were to buy the Sigma 70-300mm Macro or the Sigma 50mm Macro in picture quality? I will only be getting one, and macro is my main goal, so which one would be best?

Mark

Well sorry to randomly suggest another lens, but the sigma 105mm is what I suggest if you shoot insects.

I have a d40 and 105mm macro and its a lovely combo, very fun and the variety of things that the lens allows me to do is very impressive.

I plan Nature Macro. Small anmals and bugs along with the occasional abstract. I will have other lenses, I just would like to pick one for Macro.

Mark

Then you probably will want to go with the telephoto macro.

The 50mm requires you to get to close and the insect will usually fly/walk away.

I suggest asking for more advice from people who actually have the lens, I am just trying to help out from the little knowledge I know.

Keep in mind the Siggy is not a true macro (its 2:1, not 1:1). I would suggest the Tokina 100mm F/2.8.

Also, if you don't mind me giving some advice in your camera quest, I would suggest the D70S. The D40/60 are not very durable, require you to navigate a lot of menus, and have no in body AF motor. The D70S's price is right between the two, and its a great camera for the money. I switched to a D70S from a D40, and am loving it so far.

Well thanks for your responses anyway. It does make sense what you say, and the macro feature is only available from 200-300mm ranges anyway with the telephoto macro, which is perfectly fine with me..if the pictures still turn out that is. I would love to hear more from anyone who has either one of these lenses. I was also thinking about getting a 1.4x or 2x Teleconverter to help with that and general non-mactro wildlife shots. Do you think that this is a good idea? Any advic with the Tokina mentioned above would help imensely (sp?) also.

Mark

a little off topic but i would go for the d40 over the d60. I hated my d60 and loved my d40. i know the extra megapixles are a plus but if your not printing large you dont need them. and the d60 shoots horrible compared to the d40 in lower light conditions. just my two cents. and i got the cheap sigma telephoto macro for 70 bucks. it works good for distance and not to shabby for macro. but you have to remember it is a cheap lense and you get what you pay for but i really like it. so if your on a budget give that a whirel and if you go for the d40 put that extra money twards a better macro. :)

Oh okay, I think I will go with the sigma telephoto macro. Most likely. Does anyone have any macro photos taken with this lens?

Mark

Well a 2:1 macro will give you shots rather like this:
IMG_0058.jpg

*taken with sigma 70-300mm macro*

which is fine if your shooting flowers, but for insect work you really want a 1:1 macro - and idealy one with a focal length of at least 100mm - that said shorter focal length macro is certainly possible, but trickier. Avoid the 50mm macros, most are only 2:1 and many are cheap quality lenses (Budget lines). If you must go cheap you could look at the sigma 70mm macro (said to be their sharpest lens) though I would recomend the 150mm or 180mm of their range personally - as they have internal focusing (the front does not move when you focus), they work with sigma teleconveters (that lets you get increased magnification) and have better AF motors (not really a concern with macro as this is done all in manual focusing mode, but it is a bonus when using the lens in other uses).

I have no examples from the sigma 105mm macro, as I only have a 150mm macro. However the lenses on offer - the Nikon 105mm macro, sigma 70/105/150/180mm macro and the tamron 90mm macro are all reportedly sharp and good macro lenses - its mainly a case of fitting your needs against your budget

Most reactions

New Topics

Back