What is the maximum Compact Flash capacity that a Nikon D700 can take?

Student

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I heard it was 16GB but I'd like to buy myself a 32GB Sandisk Extreme card since they're on sale now...

Last edited:
See page 390 of your D700 Users Manual.

It is common practice to use multiple, smaller capacity cards to minimize the number of photographs lost if a card were to fail, than to use large capacity cards.

Large capacity cards are however beneficial for video, because video is a lot of still photos.

I used to do that until I figured out that Sandisk Cards are indestructible since the Extreme III generation came out! ;)

I used to do that until I figured out that Sandisk Cards are indestructible since the Extreme III generation came out!

As good as they are, they aren't "bullet proof" they do break, you've also got human error to factor in. I've moved away from larger cards, I just own a load of 8gb CF cards, much better idea!

Indestructible or not...they are small, and thus easy to loose...so the 'all your eggs in one basket' argument is still valid.

They are effectively indestructible these days. Given the read-write rewrite capability of modern flash it should outlive the shutters on the cameras. That and flash has a tendency to fail safe, so it's nearly always possible to get read the data again.

I used to do that until I figured out that Sandisk Cards are indestructible since the Extreme III generation came out!

As good as they are, they aren't "bullet proof" they do break, you've also got human error to factor in. I've moved away from larger cards, I just own a load of 8gb CF cards, much better idea!
Agreed. I would much rather lose a few photos than everything.

My largest capacity cards are 4GB. I don't shoot video, but neither does the D700.

They are effectively indestructible these days. Given the read-write rewrite capability of modern flash it should outlive the shutters on the cameras. That and flash has a tendency to fail safe, so it's nearly always possible to get read the data again.

Whilst all true, whats stopping you from losing the card? Getting it stolen? etc. Its just not worth the human element.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back