What is the rap for carrying and shooting a dslr?

I used to think "Woah, a fancy camera", nowadays it's more "Get the telephoto on. I want to see what settings this guy is using.". I've had a couple of comments, usually when i have a hood on (Seems to make everything appear more pro.).

If you really wanna appear fancy, continuous burst gets all the ladies.

tecboy, you seem to have a lot of issues with people making you uncomfortable. First, the "creepy guy" at the art school. Then the photographer asking you to move at the fashion show. Then someone asking why you shoot fashion. Now someone asking what your gear costs.

No one really ever bothers me while I am shooting, besides the occasional question which is just out of natural curiosity.

Compared to you, I must say I feel a bit neglected. :lol:

tecboy, you seem to have a lot of issues with people making you uncomfortable. First, the "creepy guy" at the art school. Then the photographer asking you to move at the fashion show. Then someone asking why you shoot fashion. Now someone asking what your gear costs.

No one really ever bothers me while I am shooting, besides the occasional question which is just out of natural curiosity.

Compared to you, I must say I feel a bit neglected. :lol:

There are stresses involve when comes to photography.

Everywhere I go shooting at a public place, there are people don't like it. There was one guy told me, "Are taking picture of me?!" There are some got upset. Another told me, ""Don't take picture of my car." I had drivers blew a horn at me. I was asked not to shoot period.

I was hanging around with one photographer, he has small body and long lens, and he uses full auto all the time. The funny thing is one lady asked him, "Are you from the press?"

Full auto most of the time its f4 @ 1/60th, good luck with a quality image there.

I was hanging around with one photographer, he has small body and long lens, and he uses full auto all the time. The funny thing is one lady asked him, "Are you from the press?"

Full auto most of the time its f4 @ 1/60th, good luck with a quality image there.

That's... that's not good.

Everywhere I go shooting at a public place, there are people don't like it. There was one guy told me, "Are taking picture of me?!" There are some got upset. Another told me, ""Don't take picture of my car." I had drivers blew a horn at me. I was asked not to shoot period.

"Don't take a picture of my car".. lol. Think I probably would have responded with, "No sir, I'm only out here taking pictures of nice cars today. I'll be shooting piece of crap beaters on Thursday if you want to bring it by then. Well, assuming it's not in the shop of course"

I dunno tecboy, it's weird. Usually when I'm wandering around with my gear I have people stopping me, handing me their point and shoots or their cell phones and asking me to take pictures for them.

"Don't take a picture of my car".. lol. Think I probably would have responded with, "No sir, I'm only out here taking pictures of nice cars today. I'll be shooting piece of crap beaters on Thursday if you want to bring it by then. Well, assuming it's not in the shop of course"

I dunno tecboy, it's weird. Usually when I'm wandering around with my gear I have people stopping me, handing me their point and shoots or their cell phones and asking me to take pictures for them.

Maybe I was shooting too much, and they don't like it. They think I invaded their privacy. Maybe, I should shoot once and walk away.

I was hired to photograph a Christening last Saturday. There were quite a few people there photographing the event with point and shoot cameras and cellphones. There was only one other photographer that had obviously been hired to be there besides me. There were over a dozen kids being Christened that day. During a break in the festivities I approached and talked a little shop. Man, what a disappointment. He said he had been photographing professionally for 30 years. I asked what settings were working for him in the low light of the church and he said he was going full auto. He only shoots in full auto. Jeez! Why don't you just use your phone in that case!

Yea, what's he thinking, doesn't he know they are paying him to dick around with his settings, not make sure he gets the moment. Yea sure, in a studio, under conditions you are controlling manual all day, but when you are shooting something where the light may be changing, things are happening fast, there's no reason to stay on manual just to be "pro".

What got me was that he said he ALWAYS shoots full auto. That is how he works. I have switched to full auto at times when the lighting is a bear to work with but I never think of it as my first option.

I was hired to photograph a Christening last Saturday. There were quite a few people there photographing the event with point and shoot cameras and cellphones. There was only one other photographer that had obviously been hired to be there besides me. There were over a dozen kids being Christened that day. During a break in the festivities I approached and talked a little shop. Man, what a disappointment. He said he had been photographing professionally for 30 years. I asked what settings were working for him in the low light of the church and he said he was going full auto. He only shoots in full auto. Jeez! Why don't you just use your phone in that case!

Yea, what's he thinking, doesn't he know they are paying him to dick around with his settings, not make sure he gets the moment. Yea sure, in a studio, under conditions you are controlling manual all day, but when you are shooting something where the light may be changing, things are happening fast, there's no reason to stay on manual just to be "pro".

What got me was that he said he ALWAYS shoots full auto. That is how he works. I have switched to full auto at times when the lighting is a bear to work with but I never think of it as my first option.

Hopefully he was just generalizing ...we can hope :(

....or maybe I'll stop shooting at public places anymore. I got tired of people approaching me in the weird ways.

Why? Embrace it. I used to feel a little self conscience too when I was shooting out in public, but after a while it went away, now I love the interaction. Hell, I came home with more girls numbers from an informal runway shoot at a club then ...ever (married though}

....or maybe I'll stop shooting at public places anymore. I got tired of people approaching me in the weird ways.

Perhaps they're just approaching you in a normal way...and it is in fact you that is responding in a weird manner.

I noticed in another thread that your business card says "Suicidal Maniac" on it. It's possible that you're giving off a creepy vibe in general.

Just something to ponder.

Hopefully he was just generalizing ...we can hope :(

He doesn't know anything about the exposure triangle, and he stills using full auto all the time. I sent him several links to read and he disregards my advice.

Perhaps they're just approaching you in a normal way...and it is in fact you that is responding in a weird manner.

I noticed in another thread that your business card says "Suicidal Maniac" on it. It's possible that you're giving off a creepy vibe in general.

Just something to ponder.

Huh? That was my fake business card.

Most reactions

Back