What Is This Black Spot?

Soul Rebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ive tried both lenses, with and without the filter, and I still get this black spot. Its darker at times and sometimes it blends in well enough that you can hardly see its there. It also hasnt been there the entire time I have had the camera. I have taken the lens off and looked inside and there appears to be nothing that would cause this. At least that I can see. And yes, the spot is in the same location each time. All of these are cropped.

I am most likely going to take the camera back and swap it for the same thing tomorrow. I am just very curious what is going on....

dsc1720in7.jpg

dsc1735fe1.jpg

dsc1828yk7.jpg

Alright. I got that cleared up. Thanks.

I do have one question though. When you take the lens off there is a piece of glass sitting at an angle and a piece of glass at the top. I have one of those brushes with the blower that you squeeze. I had used the brush to wipe off the piece of glass. I didnt touch the sensor though. That was cleaned by squeezing and blowing the dust off. Do you think I might have scratched that piece of glass? Since I can swap the camera...should I go ahead and do so?

if you can't see taht you;ve scratched the mirror or the focusing screen through the viewfinder than don't worry about it, it doesn't effect final image quality at all iether, just viewing

For future reference the sensor is behing the mirror, you'll need to use the mirror lock-up functin to actually see the sensor, if you just take off the lens your only seeing the mirror, dont touch the mirror, if you mess that up you may affect your cameras ability to take a picture because the mirror swings up when you take a picture and allows light to hit the sensor. If you somehow damage the mirrors ability to flip up your camera will need to be repaired.

Alright. One more question. The camera guy at Wal-Mart said that compressed air would work to clean off the sensor. I used to use this compressed air when I was working on computers and it seems like it would be a little too harsh for something so delicate. So....was he right? Being that he works at Wal-Mart and that I have had generally back luck with them, I didnt believe him.

Ok. I guess one more question. If you had to put together a cleaning kit for your dSLR....what would it contain?

Soul Rebel said:
Alright. One more question. The camera guy at Wal-Mart said that compressed air would work to clean off the sensor. I used to use this compressed air when I was working on computers and it seems like it would be a little too harsh for something so delicate. So....was he right? Being that he works at Wal-Mart and that I have had generally back luck with them, I didnt believe him.

Ok. I guess one more question. If you had to put together a cleaning kit for your dSLR....what would it contain?

many photographers shun using compressed air for cleaning a sensor, as it can blow residue into the sensor or embed dust into it if you're not careful. however, there are still photographers that stick to it as a great cleaning method. there's a tutorial on www.nobsphotosuccess.com for cleaning sensors with compressed air. if you'd rather not try it, get an air blower that you squeeze. it's less powerful and you don't run the risk of getting that weird frozen stuff on your sensor :)

Bring your camera to a camera shop and see if they will clean it. some may some may not but if you start trying to clean it yourself your going to get more dust on the sensor than you have now. If you try anything yourself try the blower bulb, possibly even a dust spec grabber. if you cant do it yourself let a pro do it of if you have photoshop do not worry because you can just heal the dust spot.

I got my sensor cleaned at a local shop last week, and I would definately recommend that route if you aren't 100% sure on how to clean it yourself. It was only $10, and I didn't have to sign a waiver or anything, so if they had broken it, it woulda been their fault :)

Most reactions

Back