What is This? Opinions please.

Terrier

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday the16th of June 2020 @ 10.46am in Sth Tasmania, facing west I took a couple of photographs of a rainbow. Both photos were taken only seconds apart from the same location, with the same camera and settings. When I downloaded the pictures I notice a slight difference in the images. See what you think.

Image A. DSCN6604

DSCN6604.JPG

Image B DSCN 6605

DSCN6605.JPG

Those with sharp eyes may have noticed almost in the centre of the arc on image A there is what appears to be a white line originating from the spectrum, it appears to originate in the arc and from this perspective point down, this line does not appear on image B, nor was it visible through the lens when the shot was taken.

The cropped and enhanced section of image A.

DSCN6604-1.jpg

It has been suggested that I may have inadvertently captured a daytime meteor but I really have no idea what it is, I'm curious, any ideas or suggestions?

The aliens are coming, the truth is out there......

My guess is that the same conditions that produced the raimbow spectrum also produced a white light defraction effect from the sun, and it only appeared in one shot as the water droplets and sunlight needed to be just right.

First of all, cool rainbow, nice shot.
If you asked the govt. they would tell you it's caused by swamp gas and you, like many others, would say: right ... my ass!
I watch a lot of this stuff on TV and imo it could be a number of things. My first thought was a meteor skipping off the atmosphere for a second. They look nothing like the meteors I saw when I was a kid living in Ala. at the time. The ones I saw were inside the atmosphere and burning up. I just happen to be looking up at the clouds that day, they were the big, puffy ones that make the cool shapes and I saw three, huge fire balls shooting through the sky one after the other. They came from behind one big cloud into the open and went back behind another big cloud and they were gone. Took all of about 3 seconds.
I tried researching what I saw to see if it had been seen and recorded by adults at the time but no luck.

Maybe some sort of small, flying insect or a reflection off of one? It looks to be between you and the rainbow in the cropped shot.

Most reactions

Back