What is with all these beginners with $1000+ cameras?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this thread has it all! Motorcycles, housing, local economies, golf, something about oil. I think this is the one and only thread anyone visiting the internet tonight needs to read.

I know I feel like I've had enough!

I think we also need something about women in here ... :lmao:

Why did I, a complete noob, go out and spend over $1,000 for my camera, never mind the glass?

Because I could...

Neener, neener!

In 2004, the Canon Digital Rebel kit cost 999 dollars new. This Christmas, I bought a Canon Digital Rebel XTi kit for 600 dollars new. Because of the fact that camera technology advances while getting cheaper, I plan ahead. My past years have looked like this:

2001: Got a Pentax APC film camera. Took a lot of snapshots.

2004: Bought a Canon Powershot A80. Began to learn Photoshop. Experimented with composition.

2007: Bought a Canon Rebel XTi kit with 50mm 1,8. Really learning shutter speeds, aperture and lighting.

A new camera every third year, with experience and gear inbetween is a good deal for me. I figure that in 2010, I can buy a used 50D or whatever. What's most important is that I feel that I can appreciate what I am using. So far, each new camera has brought a new appreciation. For that, I am glad that I didn't give in for the coolest gear on the market at once. In any case, my kind of photography doesn't need it:

www.flickr.com/photos/aerophysics

I thought we were in a recession!

I go back to the 70's. I bought my brother a Nikon FTn while in the Navy in Sasebo, Japan. While I was at it I bought one for myself also. My brother became a teacher, I became a photographer, still working. I still have my FTn and still shoot with it, a wee bit. So, the price paid at whatever time may result in a career or it may be a waste of money. However, the original purchase is up to the buyer and the results of that purchase are up to the mind of the buyer.

An SLR is as sexy today as it was then. Yet, it may be ignorance of the medium and what is available that applies. I can pick up an RZ 67 with a pretty nice package included on eBay for just over $1000.00. Depending.

The reason there are so many digital SLR shooters is that it seems to be the equipment before the knowledge of photography. It has been suggested here that advertising (marketing) is a primary mover of DSLR sales. I agree. I do not see Canon or Nikon or Mamiya advertisements on TV. Therefore, it must be the internet that drives this and forums. Mostly, though, it must be word of mouth and print medium. I know very few amateurs that don't have at least a point and shoot. The older folks have the inexpensive point and shoots and the younger have the pricey P and S's or the DSLRs. It's an interesting dynamic. Used to be a Corvette, now it's a N or C DSLR. Times have changed.

I say more health to those who buy a DSLR. Maybe they will learn to use it if the difficulties of photography don't get in the way.

Myself I shoot 120/220 almost exclusively as I need the negatives for my work. However, good luck and don't be afraid to work if you buy a really great DSLR.

I want a D3. Can't justify it for what I do, therefore, won't buy one.

Nekkid women?

even better!

So how many nekkid woman should surround a man each day in order to boost his ego and show others how great he is? ;)

I'd like 10.

any other ideas?

Nekkid women is an interesting thesis for DSLRs. You don't have to go to the one hour photo. See, I mention the word sexy and here you go. Post some photos.:lol:

I can only speak for myself even though my camera was under $1000. I purchased a hand me down dslr when a photographer friend of mine wanted to upgrade his. I figured I'd be using it for a while and wanted something i'd be able to grow with as I get better and better.

I think a little bit of the canon with my boyfriend is that he likes that its an expensive camera and therefor looks good when out an about etc... I wanted an DSLR cause of having p&S's in the past that were completely unable to do what i wanted them to do. I think so far I'm the only one who's actually used it on manual so far (and manual focus).

I have a friend that asked me once should he get a canon EOS cause it might be able to do what his didnt seem to be able to - i asked him what he had - he told me a nikon D40 - i then asked him had he tried altering any of the settings and he hadnt he'd just been using it on the auto setting. I suggested maybe start playing with the settings cause the Nikon should be able to do what he wanted. I then pointed him in the direction of a post on here on how to do what he wanted :)

I just want to have good stuff to start. Upgrading is expensive, you take a loss on the first stuff you bought and then have to pay even more to get the good stuff. I am lucky that I am in the position I am to afford this stuff. While I realize a 40D isn't top of the line I believe with the Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS lens I chose a lens that will last me a long time

Just a thought in addition. A Pro model camera has so many adjustments and combinations that one must know photographic principles of exposure, light reading and DOF just to utilize the features. If you have the money and the discipline to learn, go for it. If you're just looking for a great photo and can still afford it, buy a cheaper model SLR and put great glass on it.

Those who buy SLR's are able to afford the cameras. Credit or cash has no bearing. That's an individual issue.

I bought the D80 to begin.. +/- 1K... Was going to get the D200 but opted for a few lenses too. Reason in short of why I bought it... Because I could. Only three months old and now looking into the D300 around summer time. Why, just because... ;)

I would say the reason is as simple as Supply and Demand. Manufacturers have long been trying to expand their SLR market shares and to do so they reach out to those who were not able to afford such cameras in the past.

You can pick up a very nice DSLR now for $500, much within the grasp of a novice like myself.

But marketing can also be blamed for making people think they can achieve pro results with little prior education.

We are all suckers for a good marketing strategy... Me included .. lol hehehe.

People being suckers for a good marketing strategy have been around for ages, always will be. Canons AE-1 is ample proof of that a good marketing strategy works, Some five million units sold during it's term of service back in the days when the SLR market was still fairly exclusive to pros. All the effort Canon did to reduce the price of it led to issues, but despite this it still sells with millions still in service (albeit many have been parted out to maintain those still in service). The cost reduction was not really all that much, so it was not like they just brought it to the working class threw price, it was all in the marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back