What Is Your Definition Of High Key And Low Key Photography

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've seen some differences of opinion on this, just curious what is your definitions for a classic studio image? Here's one to start off:

High Key - Using multiple light sources, strategically placed so as to eliminate harsh shadow, and create a light, airy feeling. Richer colors will stand out, and lighter areas will go "almost" pure white but not blown out.

Low Key - Usually accomplished (but not always) with a single light source, oriented in such a way as to highlight a specific feature, characterized by striking contrasts, dark tones, and shadows, that fade to "almost" pure black. Creating a dark, somber, or dramatic mood.

So what say the experts. Do you blow the white??? Clip the blacks? Do you overexpose the High Key and underexpose the Low. Is there a correct definition, or is it artistic choice?

@pixmedic, if I understand correctly, you follow the no blown whites, no clipped blacks thinking?

High key - no pure blacks
Low key - no pure whites

That's what I took from the whole thing.

So wouldn't that be somewhere around 18% gray. LOL Just kidding. So what about blowing the whites out and clipping the blacks?

@pixmedic, if I understand correctly, you follow the no blown whites, no clipped blacks thinking?
I don't think its super critical either way. It comes down to preference and how you want the picture to look

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Do you overexpose the High Key and underexpose the Low.
I'm not an "expert", but I would expect that both kinds are correctly exposed. Neither under nor over. Just right. It is the lighting and subject that set the mood, but expose your shots correctly. Always.

I'm not an "expert", but I would expect that both kinds are correctly exposed. Neither under nor over. Just right. It is the lighting and subject that set the mood, but expose your shots correctly. Always.

I would agree, though I've seen several who would argue to "overexpose" to blow the white out, or "underexpose" to be sure they had either white or black. Not saying there wrong or right, I just haven't found a definitive correct answer.

So wouldn't that be somewhere around 18% gray. LOL Just kidding. So what about blowing the whites out and clipping the blacks?

xD

Clipping could be appropriate and part of the image, but generally I'm with designer that exposure should be good. I'm much more forgiving about clipped blacks in a low key image than I am with clipped whites in high key. I'm definatley against clipping just because the photographer couldn't be arsed to get the levels right.

I would agree, though I've seen several who would argue to "overexpose" to blow the white out, or "underexpose" to be sure they had either white or black. Not saying there wrong or right, I just haven't found a definitive correct answer.
All you need to do is to look at some well-done images, whether high or low key lighting, and you will see that the ones that look right are exposed correctly.

To me, high-key means photos that are made up almost exclusively of light tones, of light colors, which may have light-hued colors or pastel colors, and which are airy, possibly at times dream-like or ethereal. In my way of thinking, high-key images are _NOT_ just random subject matter that happens to have been shot in front of a light-colored or white background! White background shots with dark-toned things or people is not high-key. A picture of a dark-haired man or woman in a navy blue business suit and posed in front of a white seamless background is not a high-key image.

Low key is dark, or dim, or heavy, or contrasty, and has plenty of darkness and dark colors or tones. The mood can be heavy on contrast, or low on contrast, but dark.

@Derrel interesting comments on the high key.

Your definition of low key might it fall more in line with film noir?

@Derrel interesting comments on the high key.

Your definition of low key might it fall more in line with film noir?

Glad you started this thread. Where would chiascuro fit in? Difference between low key and chiascuro?

Glad you started this thread. Where would chiascuro fit in? Difference between low key and chiascuro?

Wow that's from the past for me. I think there was initially a more defined edge between light and shadow in chiaroscuro, that later evolved into a softer transition. Still I think of "high contrast" between light and shadow with chiaroscuro, as opposed to a lower contrast between the lighted subject and shadows.

Well, it's kind of like "art". You might not be able to define it concisely, but you'll know it when you see it.

Earlier I asked Mr. Google to show me some sample images, first in high key, and then in low key. Mixed in among the good stuff were many that did not actually qualify, IMO, but the good stuff was instantly recognizable as either low key or high key, depending.

Train your eye to see it, then you'll know it when you see it.

Most reactions

Back