what is your place in the world...

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay for those of you who work in photography even part time I have a question for you. It's not about which camera you use, it's about how you see yourself.

Okay This is like the Maryland psych test.

When you are working on a photo job which of these do you think is best discribes your relationship to your client. I am more like a _______ than any of the others

1) Caterer

2) florist

3) lawyer

4) Doctor

then of course why do you feel that way.

I'll say Doctor. Cause what I'm doing involves some tinkering with science as well as craft. In addition, *I* choose the treatment plan, as it were. :mrgreen:

well ... this may sound a bit rude or make me an egoist but.. I think I am more like a lawyer... why? because whenever I take photos of people - portrait sessions or couples - I always want them to do what I tell them. ok.. I accept suggestions and sometimes I follow them but mostly I like to do "my vision"... often I like to find even the smallest advana\tages of those people and somehow take them out (advantages) from the inside ... does it make any sense?

I'm like a florist... When I screw things up, as I frequently do, most people still think it looks pretty. 8) When I do everything right, people still think it just looks pretty. :neutral:

jdunphy said:
I'm like a florist... When I screw things up, as I frequently do, most people still think it looks pretty. 8) When I do everything right, people still think it just looks pretty. :neutral:

:lol::lol: That's a great reason!

I'd say caterer. I listen to what people want and I try to deliver something that meets what they want. Actually maybe that's doctor, delivering a solution to people's problems.

Brings to mind the story of the three men laying bricks. When asked what they were doing, the first answered. "I'm laying a brick." The second man replied, "I'm building a wall." The third thought a second, and then said, "I'm erecting a cathedral."

Or in Spain! Incidentally, Spain issued several sets of postage stamps depicting castles. They're magnificent examples of engraved bi-colors.

for our friend who wants to do a photoshoot. Getting one or two shoots is just a matter of showing your photos around. Show them to people, give a few away even, eventually someone will ask you to shoot something for them. Charge a small amount and you will have your photoshoot.

Shooting a few now and then for money isn't all that hard. Fooling yourself into thinking you can make a business of it isn't hard either. Actually making a fulltime living at photography is a pure D *****. Ask anyone who has ever done it or tried to do it.

But alas I digress...

I don't think any of those four choices compare well to what I do, but then again, I probably don't know much about what they do. I guess I'd choose lawyer, because I'm negotiating with reality for the fantasy the client desires.

I had a tough time choosing from the list as well. My first thought would be Lawyer. Clients come to me because they have no clue about the process or what is involved. All they know is that they can not do it by themselves. I wave my magic wand (so to speak) and the results (more often then not) exceed their expectations. I then charge them an exuberant amount of money.

mysteryscribe said:
Actually making a fulltime living at photography is a pure D *****.

It can be, but what job isn't a ***** at least occasionally? When the client is demanding, unreasonable, late, etc... I definately dream of the day I'll be able to go back to 100% amateur photography. On the other hand, last week I was paid a lot of money to go out and shoot landscape photography on some of the most beautiful land I've ever seen. If I'd just been driving by I would have been tempted to hop the fence, and photograph just for the pleasure of it, but instead they paid me to do it!

Besides, my wife would have killed me long ago if I couldn't write all my toys off on our taxes. ;) "But honey, I really needed this new camera. It's for the business."

Answer #5 Baby sitter? Please go here, smile, make it look natural, please move here, dont do that, Mam' your a third cousin please step out the bride does not like you but does not want to tell you, Act natural, i'm not really here?:lol:

Most reactions

Back