The latest pic is *MUCH* improved over the rest. Not that the others were bad, but the problem is most likely attributed to shake. A good rule is to use a shutter speed equivalent to your zoom (so if you're at full extension at 300mm then you should be using at least 1/300s as your shutter speed. Granted, this is a bit conservative once you get better at hand-holding, but it's a good rule to start with).
The first one of the cardinal (?) was like 1/400 of a sec I think, but I cropped a lot and my lens isn't that sharp at 300mm. I agree about the minimum shutter speed. Some people say factor in the crop sensor too, so 1/480 (or 1/500) of a second is ideal. I think they also say the stabilization affords you a stop of motion blur, or something..
I really think small birds are one of the tougher things to try and take pictures of though, even though I kinda failed I feel like I got some good practice.
Thanks for the comments everyone.
That dog looks almost JUST LIKE MINE!

Well, my dog has pointy ears, and more white spots.
It's my dad's girlfriend's dog. She's a pitbull and black lab mix if I remember right. I really like the dog but she playfully tries to eat my whole arm and jumps on me - which is not a big deal but she's probably taller than me when standing upright.