What kind of Computer to buy

atseeyob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a window person, and I am about to buy a new computer mainly for my photography use. Many people advising me to get Mac. What do you think I should get? If your suggestion is also Mac, what is the advantage of Mac when it comes to photography? My wife has a laptop (WindowXP) so I can use that for all other needs. Please let me know also about the learning curve. Thanks a lot.

For me, there's nothing much of a difference when it comes to photography because it still depends on the specs of your hardware whether it is a Windows PC or a MAC. But for the reason that you already have a Windows PC, you could go for MAC for change. :) i hope i've help you on this.

If you want to get an Apple, get one. I don't think it's a big shock that they both do photo editing. You might even try searching since I'm pretty sure the Apple vs. Windows issue just might possibly have been discussed before.

MACs have always been traditionally used more by graphics folks, since they have better graphics and displays than most PC computers standard.

The computer also comes with iPhoto, which is photo manipulation software. I have not used it, so someone with experience with it can give you more advice on that. There are also a good many photo and graphics programs made my Apple for their systems.

I too have been a Windows guys for the last 12 years and plan on getting a MAC in the next year or so, primarily because I am sick of fighting Windows updates and software glitches, but also because as I get more into photography, I think it will handle the memory requirements better than my laptop.

As far as learning curves, if you purchase your MAC at one of the Apple Stores, they can assist you with classes, help you transfer your data from your old Windows computer to the new one, and pretty much anything else you'd want to know. You can schedule appointments with them, so you can do it on your time and know you will have someone there that knows what they are talking about, instead of having to take your chances like at a big box store.

I am a system administrator for a 70+ Windows computers & 4 Windows 2003 servers by day, but when I go home at night I want to see nothing but Mac.

To me, somebody who uses Windows at a high level for 8+ hours a day, there is absolutely, positively no comparison in quality between the Windows OS (be it the now somewhat stable XP... stable after 7 years of release that is) and the abomination that is Windows Vista... an absolutely AWFUL operating system, across the board.

Instead of going on and on about it, let me just give you this link, the guy echos my thoughts very well:

Cnet: Leopard OS Embarrasses Windows Vista

I, too, am a long time geek. I started in the Novell environment with DOS workstations, was unable to avoid the M$ marketing behemouth, have been forced to move over to the Windows server side, and of course run whatever the latest M$ operating system is on the desktop ("Because we need to upgrade!" says the clueless CEO.)

Throughout my experience it has been a given that for those doing graphics, Macs are the platform of choice. I've been at several non-profits where all the pulications folks are running Macs while all the paper pushers are on pcs.

Why? Many and varied reasons. But just ask graphics professionals. Most go with Macs.

Macs are traditionally used for graphics, unlike Windows they were designed for that purpose. They had their own market and Windows had theirs.

That's not true anymore. Most Mac v PC arguments are outdated by 15/20 years. Technology moves fast, multimedia capabilities are now expected in all home computers and they both perform as well as each other (obviously depending on specs).

Macs are still used heavilly in the graphic design industry, designers have become comfortable with them and they'll defend Apple with their lives, but I see it as nothing more than brand conditioning.

So long as they're finely tuned, PCs are more stable than they ever were (admittedly I've not used Vista yet), and although that's the only real argument I'm open to, last time I turned a Mac on, it crashed.

To me, it's 6 or two 3s. Depends on your preference and what your comfortable with. Macs are generally easy to use, set up nicely and take very little tinkering. PCs are sometimes a bit of work, but if you're used to that then it can be to your advantage. The computing power and multimedia capabilities of both machines are almost identical.

My point of view is that the quality difference in OS's isn't enough to make that my deciding point. I can get two good PC's for less than the price of a good Mac. I can put linux on the PC's and get 10 years of life out of them. I can get a decent PC from a friend who's "upgrading" and with Linux get 5 years out of the "old" system for free. The price difference between PC hardware and Mac hardware is, in my mind, better spent on other things like lenses and toys. Plus I like to tinker. If I need better graphics, on a PC, I can buy a new graphics card and throw it in. That said, if someone was going to give me a mac, I wouldn't turn it down. (But then I run 2 versions of Windows and 3 different linux distros at home.)

...I have nothing against Macs, but I've always used PCs; they've been more 'accessible'...that said, Macs were always better suited for graphics, etc., if you could afford them and find the software (Mac-compatible software has never been anywhere near as readily available as PC-compatible)...and let's not forget that Adobe (makers of the Photoshop family) was originally a Mac-oriented software company...
...and the more I hear about Vista, the happier I am that I stuck with XP...:biggrin:

I know nada about computers.........so I went to a computer store, told them what I do for a living, and tolding them I needed something blinding fast.
Maybe not the best approach.
I got a great computer for my needs but I prolly paid too much.
I'm sure that's not very helpful. Just reminising.

Windows...
um
Mac!!!! Definitely Mac!!
ah.. on second thought
Windows!!! yeh.. windows...
hmm after sleeping on it... MAC

Ah. man.. just flip a coin and load up on memory on whatever you end up with. Then make sure you attach a really good quality display and a display calibration tool.

btw... Mac all the WAY!!!!

(But then I run 2 versions of Windows and 3 different linux distros at home.)

You can run two different versions of windows and 3 different windows distros on a Mac SIMULTANIOUSLY at full speed, while running photoshop in OSX.

Try that on a PC.

I agree. Flip a coin, really.
I'll recommend PC because it's cheaper though. Apple is severely overpriced.
If you go go Mac, get OS X leopard. It's coming out soon (or just came out...not sure)

I own both, and I must say I do all my photography work on my PC.

But I won't lie...I would never really recommend BUYING any PC. Build it yourself, or don't get one at all. If you don't think you can build it, read up for a day or two...it's really like putting together a puzzle (except it all only fits one way)

You can run two different versions of windows and 3 different windows distros on a Mac SIMULTANIOUSLY at full speed, while running photoshop in OSX.

Try that on a PC.

You're too quick for me to reply to you as well.

You can. lol. I'm not sure what you mean by windows distros..I'm assuming you meant linux.

However, I will say you can do that and more. Neither Mac nor Windows has any REAL advantages over each other...other than Windows XP has DirectX9 and Vista DirectX10...but that only matters in games really...

Or, you can do Mac and Windows on a PC. It's tricky, but can be done. But, you can also run Windows on Mac, so Mac is a good choice for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back