What kind of Computer to buy

Also, the learning curve on a Mac takes about 45 minutes to learn coming from a PC, where a person going from Mac to PC would probably take a week. Mac OS is intended to be simple and user friendly by design.

I don't know, it may be a toss up between these two.

Each platform has stregths and weaknesses and people that don't recognize that and blantantly just bash another platform is generally considered a fan boy.

I agree. If a platform has decent amount of users, it must be good in some way. And we need more good platform out there. Just like people who use Internet explorer will appreciate there are other browsers out there that has features that IE don't have in the past. i.e. Tabs

As for why Windows has more problem with stability than Mac. I strongly believe Windows is stable. But it is a little open platform, it allow other manufacturer to make parts and use it in Windows such as video card, sound card, .... And problem maybe related to those 3rd party drivers.

So is it good or bad? Bad for someone who really want a very very stable platform. Good for those who like to be on the cutting edge.

Also as I said earlier, I do not believe Mac is virus nor spyware proof. I really believe most of the virus coder out there do not want to target the Mac platform. As job related issue. We had a client (few years ago) website under attack. The cause of the attack was someone created a virus to infect Windows PC. Once the Windows PC was infected, it went to the target website in the background. I am sure the attacker wanted to send a lot of traffic to bring down that web site. And it will be wise for him/her to make the virus to target a platform that has the largest user base.

No need to install anti virus does not mean the platform is technology better in that aspect. But certainly better for a user point of view. One less thing to worry about. But I am sure a lot of PC power users out there seldom worry about this issue as well. In my PC at home, I do not have anti-virus installed and it runs fine. However, in my buddy machine, I installed anti-virus, anti-spyware software ...... in his machine, he still infected all the time. So .. user problem?? (no wonder about 60 to 80 percent of the support calls to a major PC maker are virus/spyware related issue)

You know ... thanks to the OP, this thread is getting interesting.:lol:

Can you build your own MAC?
I don't build my own camera, I don't build my own automobile, I don't build my own refrigerator, I don't build my own house. Why in the world would I want to build my own computer when I can buy a Mac that does exactly what it's supposed to do with no fuss and no bother?

Certainly, it makes sense to build your own computer IF building it is your objective. I'm more interested in USING it, much as I use cameras, automobiles, regrigerators and houses.

I don't build my own camera, I don't build my own automobile, I don't build my own refrigerator, I don't build my own house. Why in the world would I want to build my own computer when I can buy a Mac that does exactly what it's supposed to do with no fuss and no bother?

Certainly, it makes sense to build your own computer IF building it is your objective. I'm more interested in USING it, much as I use cameras, automobiles, regrigerators and houses.

Because building your own computer takes 20 minutes and all the parts fit together, most snapping into place. Plus building your own saves you money, gets you the exact specs you want, and leaves you with a machine where you know what's exactly in in. And I don't see many snap together camera, automobile, refridgerator, or house kits...there's usually a lot more involved with building those.

I've built PC's before and they do exactly what I want them to with no fuss. It's amazing what happens when you install the correct drivers. Plus there's many possibilities with building your own machine that a Mac can't touch.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but when's the last time you heard of some one over clocking a quadcore Mac's cpu and gpu's while making sure the liquid cooling system keeps everything from blowing up? Some people are into other things.

Certainly.. but there's more to time and effort required to build a high performing computer. Research, selection of parts, etc..

I know a person who can practically build a car in their sleep.... doesn't mean that he expects that to be the norm nor expects everyone else to do the same.

You can build a computer in 20 mins. good for you.. but don't expect the rest of the world to do the same nor WANT to do the same.

Again.. comparing a custom build computer and a purchased one is not a well thought out comparison. I can certainly cook at home or go out to dinner. Doesn't mean I want cook at home ALL the time. Even if my home cooked food was better than going out to a restaurant, the experience is just not the same.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back