What Kind of Flash and Lens should I buy? Help

NikeonNev3000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm Relatively New to the game, but surprisingly I've been getting a lot of work. I have a pageant coming and I need a flash.

I currently shoot with a Nikon D3000 18-55mm Lens, but the location of the pageant has very low lighting so I need to know what type of Flash I should buy to compensate for such a low lit place.

I am also looking into buying a news lens, any ideas? I just want my photos to come out crystal clear because this is a paid gig.

Thanks All the help is appreciated !

i'm pretty new to nikon also but a couple of lenses I have been looking at for lower light is the tamron 18-50mm f/2.8 or the sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. With a constant aperture it will help a lot with available light. As far as the flash i'm waiting to see your replies.

The last pageant I photographed I used an 85 and a 70-200 on crop bodies and sb-800's with external battery pack. Choice of lens will depend how far away you are.

Thanks more feedback is definitely appreciated, preferably people who shoot with Nikons

The best Nikon flash you can afford would be my suggestion; either the now discontinued SB 800 or the new replacement, the SB 900. If both of those are too much coin, then the Nikon SB 600 flash would be okay. The kit lenses with the f/3.5~5.6 variable maximum apertures almost always demand that use use AF-S (single) focusing priority AND enable the AF Assist Beam from the flash, in order to reliably get fast, accurate focusing in dim lighting conditions,shot after shot. Using a wider-aperture lens is very helpful.

There are so,so many lenses it's hard to suggest just "one". Since you have a D3000, you will want a lens that has a focusing motor built into the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back