What lens for my new (used) Canon T2i?

rbweddle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ordered my first DSLR last night, a Canon T2i, now I am looking for a reasonable lens for general photography. I am looking at the Canon 18-135 mm and a Tamron, or Sigma, 18-200mm. The Tamron is about $200 and the Canon about $320. What is the difference between a Canon "standard zoom" and STM (other than price)? Is one preferred over the other?

Thanks,

Bruce

The STM stands for Stepping Motor and is used for video to reduce the autofocus in video modes. It was released with the T4i last year. I don't have one but I hear the 18-135 is a decent walk-around lens with a very flexible focal range.

The STM has a silent mode -- it's focus speed can be (deliberately) reduced to make it inaudible to the built-in camera microphone when shooting video and also controls the focus transition speeds. Only the T4i or above can take advantage of the "STM" feature (again, only useful for video... for still you wouldn't care).

A T2i will use it like a normal lens - so there is no advantage in purchasing the STM version for a T2i.

If you have purchased the t2i without a lens already, consider the tamron 17-50 f2.8. It gives less reach than the lenses you are looking at but is a great deal better in general at the lengths it does operate

Most reactions

Back