What lens should I buy?

stubbsk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
kylestubbs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to Florence in February and would like to get a new lens because I'm using film lenses on my D50. I am thinking of buying a new body but not yet.

I want something wide-angle to zoom and was thinking of the 18-200 nikkor VR. Would it better to go for a cheaper sigma for example or buy two lenses? I don't know. Any suggestions?

I am going to Florence in February and would like to get a new lens because I'm using film lenses on my D50. I am thinking of buying a new body but not yet.

I want something wide-angle to zoom and was thinking of the 18-200 nikkor VR. Would it better to go for a cheaper sigma for example or buy two lenses? I don't know. Any suggestions?

What lenses do you currently use on your D50? That should influence your decision for a new purchase.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Unless the body is lacking something you need, keep it and buy better glass. I would look at two lenses. One ultra-wide say 10-22mm and a standard zoom 24-70 or more. I usually pcik quality over price. Only have one chance to take a good photo, so make it count. Have not heard anything about the 18-200 VR though. Google a search for reviews.

OH the reviews are crazy, they're really hard to get your hands on. There indisputably good lenses. I'd probably have about £600 pounds, $1200 dollars to spend on equipment by the time I leave.

I'm not a Nikon shooter...but I've heard great things about the Nikkor 18-200 VR. One of, if not the best in terms of stabilization.

It's obviously a lens of convenience...allowing you a wide range of focal length without having to change or carry other lenses. The limitations will be the smaller aperture, especially at the long end...and a lower image quality than a top quality lenses (24-70 or 70-200).

Why buy that POS lens when you for the same price can get 2 fast primes and get ten times better images. Even the advocates of it wil say you compromise image quality for convenience I don't know about you but for me that would be a once in a lifetime trip and I would want the best gear that I can afford regardles of the weight.

Why buy that POS lens when you for the same price can get 2 fast primes and get ten times better images. Even the advocates of it wil say you compromise image quality for convenience I don't know about you but for me that would be a once in a lifetime trip and I would want the best gear that I can afford regardles of the weight.

Once again, you act as if everyone is looking for the exact same things in terms of lenses.
Traveling with only primes may be good if you are going on a trip solely to take pictures. However, if I am traveling with my family photography is a distant second. In that case the 18-200 is not a "POS" It has good image quality for a large extent of its range, and allows the shooter to have "the right" lens mounted on camera at all times.
You make a good point to the OP, that the 18-200 is not the highest quality lens available, but it may be a good fit for him. We should at least ascertain what his intentions are. Fast lenses are not necessary for every activity, and I don't think that this site should get caught up in preaching the go pro or go home mentality of purchasing equipment.

Sorry, I do not mean to sound confrontational, but everytime you answer one of these posts you advice is the same, but the conditions are always different. Sometimes convenience is more important than absolute bleeding edge IQ.

OH the reviews are crazy, they're really hard to get your hands on. There indisputably good lenses. I'd probably have about £600 pounds, $1200 dollars to spend on equipment by the time I leave.

What are you planning on doing in Florence? What will you do with the pictures that you take?

If you are planning on keeping a record of your trip, making small prints, and sharing pictures online, then the 18-200 is a great lens, especially if you combine it with a good flash, like the SB600.

However, if you are traveling with photography as your number one priority, plan on shooting lots of low light environments with no flash (such as museums) and don't mind carrying a dedicated camera bag you should consider some other options. These would include the Nikon 35/2; Sigma 30/1.4; Tamron 17-50/2.8; Tokina 12-24; Nikon 50/1.4(1.8), and many others.

So take a look at what is most important in your purchase and maybe we can help you narrow the choices down a little more.

If I had $1200 to spend on lenses, I'd ge the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Nikkor 80-200 AF-S (you'd have to get a used one at a good price) and if I had money left over a 50mm f1.8 for lower light. You'd have some extra weight on your shoulder but the images would be awesome. I'd personally want the best quality I could afford but I don't mind lugging around a the extra weight and switching lenses around.

But then again, the 18-200 would be a good travel lens (that's the only thing I would consider using one for). It's lightweight, you wouldn't need to switch lenses out on the whole trip and you'd have some extra money for a flash if you wanted. I've just heard bad things about super-zooms and I tend to stick by my opinions once their formed :lol:

If you find yourself in a position that you want to go with the 18-200VR, let me know. I'm looking to upgrade soon and I won't be needing mine anymore. I don't have any issues with mine, I am just looking to spread my range out a little more and get a faster zoom.

Once again, you act as if everyone is looking for the exact same things in terms of lenses.
Traveling with only primes may be good if you are going on a trip solely to take pictures. However, if I am traveling with my family photography is a distant second. In that case the 18-200 is not a "POS" It has good image quality for a large extent of its range, and allows the shooter to have "the right" lens mounted on camera at all times.
You make a good point to the OP, that the 18-200 is not the highest quality lens available, but it may be a good fit for him. We should at least ascertain what his intentions are. Fast lenses are not necessary for every activity, and I don't think that this site should get caught up in preaching the go pro or go home mentality of purchasing equipment.

Sorry, I do not mean to sound confrontational, but everytime you answer one of these posts you advice is the same, but the conditions are always different. Sometimes convenience is more important than absolute bleeding edge IQ.

I guess it depends on how important image quality is to you. As I said in my post this would be a once in a lifetime trip for me and I would want to get the best images possible. To me if you need portability what is the point of buying a DSLR there are plenty of P+S type cameras that take perfectly acceptable images if you need something portable.

To me if you need portability what is the point of buying a DSLR there are plenty of P+S type cameras that take perfectly acceptable images if you need something portable.

I DO agree with that. A Ricoh GX100 or Canon G9 would do the job.

But I think his D50, SB600, 18-200 and a 35 f/2 (30 f/1.4) in an Adventure 6 backpack would be a very flexible setup. Besides, from 24-150 the 18-200 produces superb images.

Keith

If doing a lot of architectural shots you probably WILL notice some distortion on the ends of the 18-200 (doesn't matter much with outdoorsy shots - not many straight lines). It IS a convenient lens and my wife has it on her D40 all the time.

You get wide angle with the 18 and decent reach with the 200.

I would add a 50 f1.8 for indoors lower light use - museums and such. Hard NOT to get one for the price (about $100). Small and easy to carry in a purse, pocket or small camera case.

Another issue not mentioned........

Italy is - sad to say - a place where you SHOULD worry about good camera gear (and your purse) getting snatched so NOT changing lenses and NOT carrying a camera case with extra equipment is a consideration. My wife travels regularly in Europe on business - getting this from her. Lots of scams with bag straps getting cut and snatched by someone on the back of a motorbike and people spilling something on you while another grabs. Probably an issue in any major urban area but Italy does have a rep.

In that sense, the less you have to keep track of and make you a target, the better.

I know about the theft problem in Europe and so carrying less is important, as well as not spending too much for me to loose it. However I do have insurance but I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of claiming on it.

This will be my first ever lens purchase so i will more then likely have to cope with limited equipment for a while. I like the idea of going for the VR and a fast 50mm. Could someone link me to one please?

Great advice here everyone, thanks.

I like the idea of going for the VR and a fast 50mm. Could someone link me to one please?

Great advice here everyone, thanks.

I think you are making a good choice. I would again recommend a 35 as being MUCH more useful than the 50 though. I have both, and could not honestly tell you if the 50 is even in my camera bag right now, but the 35 is on my D100.

However, here are a few links.

Cheapest, great for the money:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Better 50, also great for the money:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97413-USA/Nikon_1902_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

Nikon 35 f2 - Equivalent to 50mm lens on your D50 - mine gets a ton of use:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/92011-USA/Nikon_1923_Wide_Angle_AF_Nikkor.html

Finally Sigma 30 1.4 Super sharp lens if you get a good copy. I think this is your best choice unless you plan on moving to a D3 in the near future
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/381616-REG/Sigma_300306_30mm_f_1_4_EX_DC.html

All will serve you well, but you get what you pay for.

Keith

Most reactions

New Topics

Back