What Lens?

RKDeity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I am new to the forum but I am looking to expand on what I have been able to do with a less than mediocre lens. A friend of mine has suggested to me to get a F 2.8 70-200 lens. I often take indoor sporting pets, shows, and portraits of dogs and children etc. I need a lens to do just about everything efficiantly.. She says this is the one! LOL

Now, through my searches I have found the very affordable Sigma and Tamron lenses however I want to know what others think about these two lenses and which is better? Also, do I want a Macro? or no?

Thanks!
Deity

The 70-200 f/2.8 is a great lens. From what I've seen it looks like the Sigma is a little more popular than the Tamron. There is no lens that "does it all". The 70-200 f/2.8 will be great at what you listed provided you have enough room to really use it. Other options would be a 24/28-70mm f/2.8 or for poorly lit indoor sports I use an 85mm f/1.8.

Please describe "enough room". I often photography dogs in poorly lit conditions in large arenas. I also often photograph dogs at play in the yard... both areas are quite large to work with. There are those times however when I do prefer to do portrait type photos as well under a natural lit studio type setting (my home, against a wall with natural light from the windows). Will this lens allow for me to be able to also do close up such as that? How close to my subject approx will I be able to get with the 75-200mm?

And does it matter that its a MACRO lens?

Thanks again!

I have the 70-200mm 2.8 and I love the lens it's great for low light, but I ended up going out and getting the tamron 17-55mm 2.8 because the 70-200mm was too long for a lot of indoor stuff. I would have to stand really far back to get good shoots and in smaller rooms it was impossible to use. So again it will matter on the confines that you are working with. The macro doesn't really matter it just gives you the ability to do macro shots.

I have the 70-200mm 2.8 and I love the lens it's great for low light, but I ended up going out and getting the tamron 17-55mm 2.8 because the 70-200mm was too long for a lot of indoor stuff. I would have to stand really far back to get good shoots and in smaller rooms it was impossible to use. So again it will matter on the confines that you are working with. The macro doesn't really matter it just gives you the ability to do macro shots.

Do you prefer the Tameron or the Sigma? Pros and Cons of each?

I love them both they both take great shoots and since they consist of different focal lengths I don't have to try and figure out which one is better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back