What photo(s) next for C&C? Please read list and let me know. Thanks

photo guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Due to all of the bashing and rude post from the last time I have decided to do a poll. Please let me know which one you prefer and that is what I will post next and then go from there. Thanks

1. Nice Severe Storm Photos 2. Any cool / neat weather shots 3. Christmas Lights 4. Any night shots that are ok 5. Other not listed here

Number 1
I want to see the severe storms.

Storms will be very tough as there is a lot of room for error. Electrical storms are often best shot in bulb mode, but can look very dramatic if you get them right. You need to be at an elevated position ideally (obviously ensuring you are also in a safe place. Do some research online to find the best set up. Is there anyone you know that you could borrow a DSLR from for this? As this would definitely be best done with a DSLR with some fully manual settings.

My personal advice is that you should stick to something simple so that you can work on exposure and composition. Find something interesting that has some leading lines leading to it. As I suggested in my PM, get hold of some photography books and try out some of the suggestions, and then post the best of them. Storm chasing is tough, very tough. Weather can be difficult also has sometimes you will think there is more contrast than there actually is. Find the most important building or the prettiest building and see if you can take an interesting photo of it using the rule of thirds and/or leading lines while having it well exposed. Use your better camera and see if you can find some manual settings so that you can actually have some say over the exposure. Unfortunately with your cameras you will have very limited say over depth of field because of the size of the sensor.

Keep it simple.

5. Any photos that look nice.

Thank you thereyougo!. I do have some storm photos from when I am doing my storm spotting. One day over this summer my area had 3 severe storms pass through (which is rare for that many in one day in this area) and I was able to get some cool shots of how red (and I mean red, the whole sky was and I did not edit the photos any way to reflect this) the sky was. It was freaky wierd. I have never seen anything like it before and I have been spotting for over 8 years. I have not done any building photography yet so I will be trying some of that soon. About the DSLR, I do know someone who has professional equipment but does not borrow or lend it out.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back