What setting to use on a beach in Mexico

koodava

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to Mexico in less than a week for a friends wedding.
She wants me to take the pictures.
I have no idea what setting to take the pictures on.
The wedding will be on the beach @ 12 noon.
I will be using my Sony Cybershot 5.1 DSC-W5 camera.
Any tips would be nice!

Well you're going to have to meter the scene...
But uh...ever heard of sunny 16 rule? It can be adapted to most situations outdoors and you can tweak from there. Wiki it.

Well you're going to have to meter the scene...
But uh...ever heard of sunny 16 rule? It can be adapted to most situations outdoors and you can tweak from there. Wiki it.

I don't know if sunny f16 would work well at the beach. It would want to render your scene neutral. Beach scenes are usually very bright. I think you would under expose if following that logic. Otherwise you would need to give it more time/greater aperture.

Or maybe your camera has a beach scene mode in which case you could let the camera over expose for you.

--All of this assumes a sunny day ;)--

Use a heavy UV filter! And Use a Flash!!!

Your shots are going to embarrass you if you don't use a fill flash at noon. Also you will want to have some reflectors and gobos (you can get the wedding party to help hold them- they'll love it).

I've gotta go but I'm sure others will be glad to help if you have any other questions.

mike

btw, you won't really be shooting the beach, it's the bride you're to be concerned with.

you camera meter should do fine here.

spot meter on the bride's face, maybe go down 1/3 of a stop from there. recheck on the sand and the sky though, to make sure contrasts are not too extreme.

of course noon is not the best time for good shots. but you cannot change that i suppose;)

If everyone is just out in the sun on the beach it won't be tough. But, if there are palapas for shade then you have problems. If the stars of the show are in the shade and you expose for them, the background will be totally blown. Bright sun and dark shadows are not your friend.

I have no clue on what you guys are talking about.
What is the IS0 setting on the camera for?
And what about elevation?
I have a setting on my camera for beaches. Should I use that one?

What is the IS0 setting on the camera for?
And what about elevation?
I have a setting on my camera for beaches. Should I use that one?

:shock:

Wait, are you supposed to be the photographer for that event?

If so, you do not seem to know the basics of photography and should tell your friend, just in case these once in a lifetime shots are important for them in some way.

I agree I hope the facility where they are geting married will be providing a photographer otherwise good luck!!!. Shooting someones wedding on the beach at high noon with a decent camera is a tough thing to do in general let alone with a 5meg P+S camera. If I were you I would trust the camera to do the job for you and leave it on the auto setting.

Wow, that discouraged me instantly.

1 - If I was you, first thing I would do is call my friend in Mexico and let them know my level of technical experitise is not equal to doing a wedding, its only fair to the wedding couple. They may be depending on you to deliver pics that they will NEVER be able to duplicate again. Be upfront with them, or risk loosing a friend.

2 - Next, I would get there a day or 2 early and practice my arse off. Its not a lot of time, but at least you will be able to get a few ideas. Learning how to shoot a wedding in controlled light with GOOD equipment and skills is hard enough without the challenges a beach adds. Sand and salt water are the 2 most brutal elements for a camera. Be ready to deal with those 2 on top of all the other challenges.

3 - I sincerely hope you were kidding with that statement, but if not... pray that you are not the only photographer at the event.

Those may be harsh words to you... but just remember, that day is not about you, its about the groom and more importantly, the bride.

If this is one of those "I can''t afford a photographer" kind of deals I suggest that somebody supply a dozen or so disposable cameras and have everybody chip in and take and then get developed the resulting photos.

Please don't give anyone the opportunity to say I told you so. :/

Lucky for me, my camera has a 'On The Beach In Mexico' auto setting! Oh and do not drink the water :wink:

-Shea :mrgreen:

LOL. Sorry!

Yes she does have a photographer. But she is only allowed 10 photos.
I am asking for myself. As I am taking pics for my own personal use. And yes I do have the beach setting on my camera. Should I just stick with that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back