• Computer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stuff and more stuff

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other ideas

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok sooo its that time of year where one's got a little money and a burning urge to spend - but what should it be?

Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS - nice long lens suitable for up to 600mm work. Downside is not only chances are I have to buy blind (ie no testing in a shop) and that its kinda going to ruin me for a few months.

Cognisys goodies - StackShot - Focus Stacking Macro Rail macro toys! That pretty auto rails or maybe lasers and stuff. Downside is I'm already fairly heavily invested in macro and I don't do enough tripod based shooting as it is. Probably should get a better set of legs before this...

Flash goodies - http://www.lencarta.com/lighting-st...ash-system/safari-li-on-portable-flash-system shiny things for blinding things - downside is whilst I've got some idea I've no honest clue how I'd be using this gear (esp since I won't have any budget for modifiers or stuff for a while.

Computer - could do with an upgrade and a general boost to performance plus more harddisk space.

Stuff - like a ballhead for the tripod, new harddisk, Custom ANSI II Vests,Tactical Vests EMS Vests Military Gear, Molle Pockets CERT VESTS, Safari Vest & Photography Gear, USA MADE and other thingies

So yeah I need ideas and opinions people - also boosted justifications for expensive lenses would help ;):mrgreen:

Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS - I say GO FOR IT!!!!! That is what I would buy. You know you want to buy it, so just go for it!

Woot one person agrees with me :) Plus its Derrel so that is like 3 votes

Oh and the poll says more voted- but someone voted for other but didn't say -- you can't leave me in suspense you gotta say what the other is!!

A friend of mine has the older 120-300 non OS lens and loves it! I don't think it would be a bad choice at all.

One can never have too many lenses. Even if the focal lengths duplicate those that we already have they are necessary because they are newer and have [questionable] abilities that our other lenses lack. Besides, the old ones can [eventually] be sold to recoup some of the cost. A new lens is sometimes also necessary to fill the void in the camera bag that allows things to bang together, thus lessening the likelihood that other [expensive and seldom used] equipment could be damaged.

Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS - I say GO FOR IT!!!!! That is what I would buy. You know you want to buy it, so just go for it!

+1. that's a sick, sick lens. I know a guy who shoots motocross with it on a 1d mk4 and loves it. It never leaves his camera.

You GOTTA go for the lens. Justification: all that other stuff you can save up for throughout the year, get a little at a time. But a lens like that NEEDS to be bought at a time when you've got more funds than usual.
And it may "ruin you" for a few months, but on the other hand, you'll be so busy playing with the new lens, you won't even notice!

LENS! Because that is what you really want! Anything else would just remind you that you really wanted the lens! :) Besides.. suppose to be a nice lens!

Another vote for the lens. I think you've talked yourself out of the others.

So, this AM the poll is seven votes FOR the 120-300 f/2.8 Sigma EX OS HSM lens, and one single vote for "Other Ideas". A bit of sleuthing has determined that the "Other Ideas" vote represents the purchase of a used Nikon D40, kit lens, and $1,500 Great British Pounds worth of strong liquor...to make you forget allllll about the 120-300.

I think I'd need all that drink just to get over the shock of buying a Nikon!

And yeah you guys are baaaaad for my bank account - but the poll has spoken!

You know what my vote is... big fancy lens, then itty bitty PEN (or maybe OM-D) for when you can't lug that beast around. :sexywink:

I vote the lens. Then I can come to your house and use it.

You can save yourself from the hassle by hiring me to spend it for you!

Macro rail or computer.... Macro rail is cool but it's a rather niche use, so you aren't going to be using it ALL the time. Comp is something that you will always need, and it will help in areas other than photography.

The comp is a very tempting upgrade - very very tempting.... buut its just not as shiny a spend. ;)

But now I'm stuck in limbo - waiting whilst being tormented as the bank takes its time with cheques.... why they have to torment me by showing the potential money in my account is -- gah!!

Most reactions

Back