What size to post photos on the internet?

But if you change the ppi from say, 72 to 300, wouldn't that be upsizing and you'll have a not so great image? Or is a basic free program capable of reducing pixel size without loss?

Don't think about PPI unless you are printing, then it is important to have 250-300 PPI to have a nicely resolved print.
PPI doesn't men anything in web display.
Only think in terms of number of pixels on a side.

What am I looking at when I see pics on the internet that are pixelly? Does that not have to do with re/ppi?

Hard to tell because I don't know what pixelly means.
Point to a picture.

To interject, the display screen DPI is set by your computer system and is not fluid. My laptop has two presets.

96 dpi or 120 dpi. I have it set to 96 dpi.

If I create a 4x3 image in PSP (I do not use PP) and specify 96 dpi, when viewing the image at 100%, it will physically measure on the screen at 4x3. If I were to resize it to 120 dpi, it will physically measure at 5x3.75 on the screen. I would have to set my monitor to 120 to have it measure 4x3 again.

Therefore, for viewing online only, you do not need any more than what you monitor is set to. 72 dpi was very common on CRT monitors but LCD are typically a higher resolution. Then, the dimensions that you set your image to will be the size displayed ( when viewed 100% full size).

i never worry about ppi. If i am printing I use 300 dpi or more and it always looks fine. I print on an Epson Artisan 730. This works for my needs.

Nope. The pixel dimensions are all that matter for electronic display.

The value the PPI needs to be is dependent on viewing distance and the image quality of the photo .

Desk size prints generally need to be at or above about 180 PPI. A desk size photo with very good image quality may print well at 100 PPI.

Here is the photo I posted above, still at 600x400 pixels, but I changed the PPI value to 1 PPI:

Converted1PPI.jpg

Wow KmH! So basically, any image you pull off the net, you can print at what dimensions is is without loss. But its when you start to blow it up you get pixelated right?

Pixels-per-inch (ppi) and dots-per-inch (dpi) are not interchangable terms. It takes many dots to render a single image pixel.

DPI is a description of output device resolution, like imkjet printers. PPI is a description of digital input device resolution, like digital photos or scanners.

Unfortunately, many (including many scanner manufacturers and other professionals) pander to the ignorance of most consumers and routinely use the term dpi incorrectly, which isn't really helpful.

I don't know about PSP, but Photoshop always refers to input resolution as pixels per inch or pixels per centimeter.

Typical desktop inkjet printers output (dots, not pixels) at resolutions of about 360 dpi to 2880 dpi. 360 dpi would be used for speedy, low quality printing and ink saving, while 2880 dpi would take longer, use more ink, and produce a higher quality print, even if the image ppi was set to a low value like 100 ppi. Some inkjet printers print at even higher resolutions and those prints are honored with the word Giclée, a neologism coined in 1991 by a printmaker at Nash Editions.

Wow KmH! So basically, any image you pull off the net, you can print at what dimensions is is without loss. But its when you start to blow it up you get pixelated right?
No.

You're not alone. Lots of people can't follow the basic math, or the logic.

If you print that 600x400 image then the PPI value definately matters, but the PPI can be changed between the time the photo is copied and when it is printed.

At 300 PPI, each of those 600 pixels would be 1/2 inch square, and clearly visible as a print.

Last edited:
Agh ok. I'm going to sit on this for awhile, I thought I understood it but now I'm pretty sure I really have no idea :D I just set mine as 300 and send out to print >.< So, I'll be back, or might start another thread, or might just google myself to death, because its something thats good to know.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, btw :D I know it isn't really my thread hah.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back