What the heck is this on a Brand New D610??

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So check this out. I was doing some shooting and noticed this line in the image. I thought what the heck so I cleaned the lens both side just to make sure the lens was clean. Then tried again and still there. So I tried cleaning the sensor with the Rocket Blower and still there.

I have not seen anything like this before. Any Ideas what this is. I am still within the return policy at Best Buy so Im going to take this back but thought I would check here first.

D610 line by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

A streak left over from a wet cleaning?

A streak left over from a wet cleaning?

It's a thin, filmy deposit on the sensor. Looks kind of like maybe a "lugi", from somebody having flipped the mirror up, and giving a big mouth-blow of air at the sensor, like a moron. The camera might very well have been sold, and returned. But, somehow, that sensor got WET. ANd see how the streak is fatter at the edge of the frame? And the edges are not regular or "mechanical", but kind of organic? I actually think this is human spittle.

The box that I got did look like it was opened. That was one thing I first noticed. I wish these boxes were taped shut to ensure this from happening.

This should be a fairly easy, quick clean-up with a Sensor Swab, perhaps two swabs. Like $6. I say it looks like spittle because...I did the very same thing once,and it looked like that...

Thom Hogan did a column a while back about the prevalence of the new buy-and-try mentality, where people buy two cameras and give bothy of them a try, and then use return policies to "return" the camera they like less, so, yeah, if the box "looked like it had been opened", my guess is...YEAH--it probably HAD BEEN opened before you got the camera.

I am guilty of that "Buy and Try" I never really use to do that but, at Best Buy the guy actually promoted that so I said what the heck why not. Buy now I can see where this is not fair to the next guy, I thought they would resell as an open buy..

I prefer to research something up the wazoo instead of buy and try. Plus you can always try them at best buy - take a memory card and take photos of things near and far with the kit lens and take the memory card home with you to evaluate the photos. Of course you can't walk anywhere due to them being all strung up to the counter.

Kinda looks like a wiper blade there in the pic.

When I bought my d7000 at Best Buy I asked if there were any open boxes, returns etc for a lower cost. The lady told me that any returns or demos etc are sent back to Nikon then resold as a Refurb. They are not allowed to resell anything that has been opened, etc. .. at least that is what she told me.

If it's been used, the shutter count will be a tell-tale tattle-tale.

I am guilty of that "Buy and Try" I never really use to do that but, at Best Buy the guy actually promoted that so I said what the heck why not. Buy now I can see where this is not fair to the next guy, I thought they would resell as an open buy..

Thats what happens if you dont buy from a good camera shop

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions

Back