AverageJoe
TPF Noob!
- Joined
- Sep 16, 2007
- Messages
- 918
- Reaction score
- 4
- Location
- Minneapolis, MN
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
A few years ago I picked up a used Canon 50mm 1.4 EF lens off ebay. I think I paid about $300 for it. I didn't throughly test/examine the lens but over time (and working with better lenses) I've come to the conclusion this lens is not performing as it would new.
One big issue is the focusing. I think sand sand or something got into the lens which causes it to focus slower and or give up on focusing. On top of that, I took both lens caps off and looked through the lens and I can clearly see several black fragments in the lens elements, very tiny but still noticable.
So at this point it's a question of: get a new 1.4 (or go big and get the 1.2L) or send this into Canon for servicing/repair.
Pros/Cons:
Sending in for repair is at least $100 based on the website. I'm not sure they are going to completely repair this back to close to new condition (anyone with experience please chime in!). But this could be a money saver for a decent lens.
This won't be worth much on the used market, I can't honestly put this on ebay and sell it as working fine (even though sometimes it does), and buying new means less money to spend on other photo stuff I don't need. But buying a new lens would mean it is in great condition.
I'll try to get some photos of the junk in the elements.
What would you do? Maybe I can setup a poll...
One big issue is the focusing. I think sand sand or something got into the lens which causes it to focus slower and or give up on focusing. On top of that, I took both lens caps off and looked through the lens and I can clearly see several black fragments in the lens elements, very tiny but still noticable.
So at this point it's a question of: get a new 1.4 (or go big and get the 1.2L) or send this into Canon for servicing/repair.
Pros/Cons:
Sending in for repair is at least $100 based on the website. I'm not sure they are going to completely repair this back to close to new condition (anyone with experience please chime in!). But this could be a money saver for a decent lens.
This won't be worth much on the used market, I can't honestly put this on ebay and sell it as working fine (even though sometimes it does), and buying new means less money to spend on other photo stuff I don't need. But buying a new lens would mean it is in great condition.
I'll try to get some photos of the junk in the elements.
What would you do? Maybe I can setup a poll...
Last edited:
)