What to do if your club hoards money

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by BananaRepublic, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is why I’ve avoided my local photo club like the plague. They’re a lot of drama and some of the photographic advice I’ve seen them give is questionable. I just couldn’t be a part of pretending I agreed with them. This forum is the closest thing I have to a photo club.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. zombiesniper

zombiesniper The camera takes the Pic. I just point the way. Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I have to agree with Destin.

I've been asked a few times to join one the local photo clubs. All the people I like from these clubs I currently shoot with for free. I just can't see me paying money to hang around with people I dislike and dealing with the personal politics that comes up with any such organization.

Onto the OP's dilemma. I would suggest a three staged approach.

Stage one is to observe and listen. Maybe even start the conversation ever so slightly into the direction of change that you would like amongst some of the members. At this time you are to gauge the overall willingness to change or even better desire for change.

Stage two is to assess your willingness to see thru what needs to be done (within the organizations rules......no whacking anyone the gets in the way) in order to make change. This will be a sliding scale since the less desire for change on the part of the membership will increase the effort required by you to make it happen.

Stage three is to act.
    If you are willing to make the change. Don't try and be sneaky and backdoor the change. This will be seen as sleazy and undermine your efforts. Be upfront that you wish to do X, Y and Z. Get support from the membership if possible but do not make it look like a takeover. People generally fear both change and conflict. They can both hurt your efforts.
    If you deem it not worth the amount of effort or that there is not enough of a desire for change, you are left with two options. Live with the club as is while providing what help you can and gaining what benefit you can, or leave it behind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    My local CC meets the same day as another org. that I'm in, so I've been to only two meetings of the Photography club. They are fairly active, but since I can't always attend, I don't participate much. I just wish they met on a different day.

4. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    I've had a few local friends express an interest in maybe forming a small club and a few that wanted to hook up for a field trip, but frankly I'm a little hesitant. When I'm in a creative mood I get serious tunnel vision, so having distractions around when I'm planning and shooting, is a major irritant. I've belonged to various other hobby oriented clubs in the past and for me it always seemed that the more formal the organization, the less productive it was. I belonged to an informal carving group under the guidance of a master carver who opened his studio to the group to come, work, watch, chat, seek help. No dues, no officers, rules, no competition, no pressure, work at your own pace, etc. If the group wanted to do something special we all chipped in. The amount of knowledge I gleaned on carving from that group was astonishing. Another wood turning group that I belonged to for awhile got so involved in the rules, regulations, and organization that they quickly forgot about just having fun at a hobby.

5. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I went to the local photo club once when I first started out hoping to learn and meet like minded people. When I mentioned to a few people that I shoot wildlife and used M43 they kinda turned their noses up at me, one guy actually snorted and walked away. Never went back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds similar to my local club. I showed them a few landscapes and they snubbed me because they were shot on my D7100, which wasn’t full frame, and according to them was incapable of making professional images.

I never went back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Try this tongue-twister:

Oh,how I wonder, how much keg beer,
    could the club's slush fund fund,
    if indeed the slush fund
    could fund fun?

• Like Like x 1
  8. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What is it about camera clubs? There is one here in Citrus County and it's purely a clique that allows others to come to the meetings and praise their great photography skills. They start the meetings with no intros (they all know each other so why bother) and no agenda (they know what it will be so no problem).
    Don't get me wrong, there is some good photography that comes out of there, they just fail as a club.
    Only the IN-Crowd knows if they hoard money or not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I am not in a photo club. I am in several photo meet up groups. The ones I’m in are free although there are some groups around that charge a small fee. The groups organize photo outings and social meet ups on meetup.com. The photo outings I attend if it’s somewhere that I don’t want to go by myself, like sunrise down by the pier in Boston or a nighttime shoot under the zakim bridge. There are photographers of all different levels at these meet ups and the more experienced ones are usually willing to help anybody who is looking to learn. I have not experienced any gear snobbery. There have even been some iPhone shooters at one of the photo walks.

Photos get posted on the website after the meet ups for the group and critique can be asked for and given online. Sometimes workshops will be offered at a group rate via one of the members. Because there is no membership dues, there is no expectation that anything be provided for free

My main issue with these groups is that they are large. someone will plan an outing and 75 people RSVP that they are attending. Usually half that will actually show up. That’s still a bit too big of a crowd for me!

Most of these groups meet or plan and event at least once per month. Not sure if meetup website works in Ireland but if it does you could easily start your ow group.

10. AlanKlein

AlanKlein No longer a newbie, moving up!

Why don't you bring up your suggestions and thoughts at the business meetings?

11. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Speaking of website; my local CC has a website, but they don't use it. Calendar is never updated, meeting places change, but are not announced, special events are not promoted, and one is required to hunt around for any contact information.

I guess if I wanted to know any of that, I should have attended the last meeting.

12. petrochemist

petrochemist No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

I'm the treasurer of our local photography workshop, so I guess if we're hoarding funds it's my fault. Members have occasionally referred to the club funds as my holiday fund. (somehow I don't feel I can justify this expenditure unless a larger majority of the group authorize it)
    There are a number of regular outgoings that members may not be aware off. As well as the obvious Hall rent, we have insurance, affiliation fees, exhibition fees...
    All the members of our workshop are considered members of the steering group, so if any have suggestions on expenditure they'll be considered & for cheaper items such as props etc. generally purchased (or reimbursed) without any debate.

From memory our float is somewhere around £1000 to £1500, which should be comfortably enough to replace the clubs aging laptop & projector if required, but isn't a huge amount IMO.

The word is that we will be having twice our usual space at our biggest exhibition this summer, which could leave us rather short on awnings & display boards. If I'm not mistaken the display boards alone could easily use our float several times over.