What to do on a rainy day?

Just picked up my 60d, an upgrade from my 30d. Now I'm ready to go out and take some landscape photos, BUT it's raining! 10 day forecast is all rain. Now what? Any thoughts, photos or ideas on what I should try?
Move somewhere sunnier?? :lol: I had some relatives from Oregon that were here one spring, and were helping to till up my grandmother's garden. She looked and saw them working in the rain, and told them to come inside. Dwayne looked at my grandmother and said, "Ma,am, where I'm from, if you don't work in the rain, you DON'T work." Find your opportunities. If the rain lets up, or at least lightens up, be prepared. Go for a drive and find a good spot where you can just get out of the car, snap off a few shots, and get back out of the rain. Or go somewhere indoors that would be interesting. Do you have any covered farmer's market kind of places? Or street fairs? Any nature centers--a lot of times, if it's not raining TOO hard, I can go to the nature center near me and wander down one of the trails, and the thick tree cover keeps most of the rain away, so I don't get soaked. I keep my camera in my all-weather bag until I'm ready to use it. Or--just stand out in the rain. That's what I did this morning. In the sleet/rain mix. Just stood there, desperate to try some new bird shots. Alas, the birds had more sense than I, and were huddled up somewhere staying warm and dry, and out of sight of cameras. At least for me, there's not a 10-day rain forecast ahead...after freezing rain this morning, tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny and almost 60 F here!
Cool suggestions! Staking out a good spot is something I need to do. To this point I've been to inpatient with my photo ops.

Thanks for the replies everyone. If I get anything decent I'll be sure to share.

Well, the first thing you need to do is take a bad ass photo of the camera itself. Yup, you have to use the 30D again. LOL. Then we want to see a photo of the 30D.

Got a gal? They look great in window light on a rainy day.

Clean your house and do some HDR interior of the entire thing.

Most reactions

Back