what to do. what to do.

You see... I am the exact opposite...

I say buy the crappy lenses NOW. Find out what you like working with i.e. focal points and apertures. Then, after your trained and confident, sell the used/crappy lenses for the same price you bought them for, spend the money (that you've saved) and buy the lens you want... Already knowing what is the best match for what you're looking for.

It irks me when people start a hobby and spend thousands of dollars before they even know what they're comfortable with... (like snowboarding or surfing... different sizes and styles).

Just my 2cents... I've been buying cheap lenses off ebay, reselling them for more after I use them, and now I am ready (and confident) to buy a nice lens that is ideal for myself. Definitely wasn't when I first started out though.

both schools of thought have their merrits.

On the one hand one does need experience working with different lenses to really understand what they are and are not capable of and also how they function with the shooting style and environments of the photographer. It takes time for this and to fully start to learn to use a newer lens (if one is new to this hobby) is at least one or two months with good use of the lens and also feedback from forums/clubs/friends/yourself/etc...

Of course the downside to cheaper now is that one cannot garantee that you will get the same price for the cheaper gear when you go to resell it -- often the cheaper (weaker) lenses command a lower resale level than lenses such as canon L which tend to retain their resale value - though with price rises in all the camera gear at the moment those that bought before the rises might now be able to command a higher resale price than before as the base price has gone up.

Further its important not to get stuck in the area where you constantly invest in poorer glass (lenses) whilst you wait to "get good enough to use good glass" because its a never ending waiting game. Once you know what you need to shoot a subject (or most likley what lens meets most of your needs with the fewest compramises) then go for it.

One good way to give yourself an idea where to start with is to have a firm idea of the use(s) of the new lens that you want to put it too - that can help you greatly focus on the market and see which lenses are on offer for your interests - then it comes a game of getting the gear and learning to use it well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back