What to do with my great old flash units

carusoswi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
. . . my collection is growing. I own the Maxxum 9000 with its dedicated AF4000 Flash, also a Promatic FTD AF4500 dedicated for use with the Maxxum 9000 (it was probably the better tool because the main head was augmented with a fixed forward-facing axillary fill flash, but I just had to own one of those auto-adjusting heads), then, there is my trusty old Vivitar 283, complete with reflector card, charger, colored lens and various angle lenses - it was such a wonderful old soldier in its day - hard to believe I can't remember the last time I used it.

I just purchased the new Sony unit for my Alpha 100, so, obviously, I'll be using that one most of the time.

Are these older units of any practical use to me? Obviously, the AF4000 will be used on the 9000 whenever I choose to shoot film in situations requiring flash, but, the other two old units are just languishing.

That monitoring system on the Vivitar was quite neat, I thought, although probably no match for TTL metering.

There must be some way to incorporate these old lights into a useful setup.

Suggestions/instruction?

Thanks.

Caruso

What that trusty old Vivitar 283 needs is a trusty old film camera sitting underneath it........hint, hint. Are you considering selling?

Believe me you have a market for those if you really don't want them. But I personally would hold on to them and try to think of a creative way of using them all at once. Try and make your subject catch fire :)

Yeah - check out Strobist for sure. I'd love to have a nice collection of old flashes to make my third or fourth lights.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back