What to do with older TPF threads?

I don't see this as a big problem. I recall posting on a thread about "how to find models" and someone after me posted "this thread if 5 years old." Yeah, but someone else may have the same issue. You see, this issue about "old threads" depends upon whether or not you're just having a conversation with a specific person (in which case old threads should cease to be active after 6 months and you can't add anything, only read) or it's about information. It's probably too much of a hassle for the mods but threads about events get dated very quickly. But stuff on technology, photography issues, especially questions by new shooters (how do I shoot my first wedding, how do I pick a good speed light?) are useful threads b/c they address frequent issues AND they can be updated when it comes to technology.

I frequently search for things and find good info in old threads. Plus I think there were some great contributions from TPF members who have moved on (literally and figuratively). I wouldn't want the site to lose those viewpoints

It's been my observation that noobs are most likely the necros.
Ban noobs?
Or queue up all noob posts until approved by a moderator.

No. Sorry but I hate that idea.

I do think a version 2 on some of the photo theme threads might be in order as Derrel is right about the pages of broken links.

I do think a version 2 on some of the photo theme threads might be in order as Derrel is right about the pages of broken links.
One of the fountain pen site does this - I think it's a good idea.

I really don't mind the old post. What I'd like to see going forward is to have some of the more established members post more examples of their work.

In general I would say most old threads (excluding the themes section which is different) are brought back by spambots; most users often miss this because the spambot is removed pretty quick (most spambots don't last long with the moderators we have and with users reporting issues); however sometimes its up long enough to generate a new post by a regular member which keeps the thread going for a while.
Note that one often repeated example is threads discussing data loss and data recovery. So sometimes mods even lock those threads when they are young (once the issue is resolved within the thread of course) to lessen the chance of them coming back

In general moderators take it as a case by case - some old threads are worth bringing back; but many are not. Many times people post in an old thread with new content that is of a personal nature to them; but which doesn't really fit the thread perfectly. They are typically directed to start a new thread on the subject.*

As staff we are happy with new threads evne if they are on similar topics that were previously posted. In our view a forum isn't just a static archive of information, but a community and social interaction. So those "repeat" threads by new members are often their main way to start interacting with the community here and to make (online) social connections. That all helps bring them into being part of the community.

Personally I would say that we lack the organisation structure and archiving of old content to make "go search for it" practically effective for many questions. Take "what camera should I get" - every few months new models come on the market and new tech appears. Even in the lens market things change.

*We do this instead of splitting threads because of two factors. Firstly it winnows out one-post-wonders who post in a random thread and then never post back again. Secondly its a simpler operation as splitting threads "CAN" cause issues sometimes (it could with VB and I've not had need ot use it much with the new software)

Maybe it's time for TPF to get a discussion going as to old threads, and how they will be handled?
I guess we could donate them to the Salvation Army.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back