What Tripod Do You Use?

SNIP> I really need one that has legs which can move independently of one another... preferably one in which the legs can be splayed out far enough to drop the camera within 10" or 12" (or less) from the ground.

By all mean, check out the 3051....

thumbs-up.gif
Got one of the original 3051's and love it. Heavy, but very sturdy. It is my general duty studio tripod. It is not one that a person would to carry around much.

I have Manfrotto 3001BPRO legs and a Manfrotto 804RC2 head.

I think the legs are fine (my next one will be taller, heavier & have spiked feet though), but I'm pushing the limits on the head.

I have had a couple Manfrottos and Sliks but the one I am using now is my absolute favorite and thats the Induro A413 with DM23 Ball head. This thing is rock solid and can take a beating. I threw it threw a car windshield, its fallen out of a moving truck and got hit my a horse I that was running by it. (I wish I was making this up lol) Its got some paint scratches on it, but aside from that still works as good as New. I love it! I think it many ways its better than some Gitzos I have looked at. At some point I would really like to get the new Really Right Stuff tripod and head, but right now its out of my price range so will need to wait a bit. But even if and when I do get one, I'll be keeping my Induro and maybe have another one or two added by then.

190xprob and the 486RC2 head. Pretty good combo but I would have opted for the 055xprob legs instead.

I'm using a Tiltall(Leitz) that was made in the 70s. Only complaint is that adjustability on the legs aren't as modern as the ones build nowadays. It doesn't have the flip level locks of legs, instead it has the turning type. Also, it could use a ball head or something. But I like it for the $40 I paid for it used.

Well, after looking through everybodys suggestions, I think I'm pretty heavily leaning towards the Manfrotto 190XPROB. At $150, that'll leave me some room in my budget to get a decent head to fix to it.

I've spent a good portion of the day looking through all kinds of tripods that have been suggested. I read the article by Thom Hogan, and although it was very informative, his basic premise is just too idealized for anyone that can't drop almost $2000 on a tripod. Whether or not "Hogan Knows Best", JG Coleman knows what he can spend... and $1700 is just waaaaaay too much.

I looked around at Giottos based upon some recommendations here, too. They look great, but it seems that all of them really push the boundaries of my price range when all is said and done... even if I buy them used. There's the opportunity to get them cheaper if I were to start bidding, but I'm really not much for auctions... I just want to buy it and get it done, whether or not I go new or used.

I looked at Vanguards, too... which, admittedly, also look nice and are relatively affordable.

Honestly, as much time as I've spent researching tripods today, I still don't feel like I have a firm grasp on all the considerations... what features I'll need, what head to get, what functions will be necessitated by the type of shooting I do.

So, I'm going with the Manfrotto 190XPROB... I'll see how it goes.

Thank you everyone for your help and sharing your experiences with your own tripods. I really appreciate your time.

Make sure you investigate kits ... I think you can get deals if you buy it in combination with a head.

Most reactions

Back