What went wrong?

JmPhotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thought I was getting a good image. It looked great in my lcd screen, but on my computer screen and printed strait off the camera it is very blue.
Here's the pic and under is the exposure data. My lighting was white daylight flourescent bulbs and white shoot through umbrellas set to the left and right of subject and a small flourescent light behind the subject reflected onto white muslin.

Tyler.jpg

Camera Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/25
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +2/3
ISO Speed 800
Lens EF50mm f/1.8
Focal Length 50.0 mm
White Balance Mode Fluorescent
AF Mode AI Focus AF

White balance fluorescent bulbs are not the same WB as normal tubes. This I would suspect is your problem. If you use PShop it is a simple matter to shift the color to remove the blue tint. Next time try a coustom WB and see what you get. It may not be an improvement due to the mixed lighting. I would then try normal Fluorescent bulbs with your overhead tubes and set WB as you have here and see if it is an improvement. Hope this helps.

Actually the mixed colour temperatures in this picture isn't too bad once it's corrected in photoshop. The problem really was that you were using "daylight" fluorescent tubes with the camera fluorescent setting. The camera setting is designed for those ugly green tubes, and in this case the camera should have been set to white balance of daylight.

In photoshop click curves double click on the white dropper and set the brightness to 95% instead of 100%. Then just select with the white dropper a bit thats not quite white on her santa cap. Select the grey dropper and click the background. The final image is a bit yellow so you need to select the green and blue channels in curves and move the control points up and down to suit but in the end the image comes up very well:
Untitled-2.jpg

Actually the mixed colour temperatures in this picture isn't too bad once it's corrected in photoshop. The problem really was that you were using "daylight" fluorescent tubes with the camera fluorescent setting. The camera setting is designed for those ugly green tubes, and in this case the camera should have been set to white balance of daylight.

Oh, I thought that is what I said. :lmao:

Ok, I can't say that I did or didn't give the kid too many blueberries, he's the neighbor kid. But what I can say is oops. I guess I didn't put two and two together that the flourscent WB setting would be for the green gym lights and not my daylight balanced lights. It says White Flourscent lights on the camera. What can I say, I thought I was doing the right thing. Live and learn!

Thanks for the advise and thanks for tweeking my pic Garbz! Much better.

Jodie

I thought it wasn't. Man I don't know where my head was at yesterday :???: Going to be interesting what else I misinterpreted during yesterdays forum trolling session.

That's OK, we all have those days. The farther past "mid-life" we get, the more frequent "those days" happen. I think I am up to somewhere between 5 and 8 out of 10 by now. :er:

Most reactions

Back