What will i photograph in the winter?

Raw photographer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Trying to come up with a list of things i want to photograph this winter. Iv'e got a few but it just kinda hit me that there's not much to photograph in winter besides SNOW, SNOW, SNOW AND MORE SNOW. Any ideas for winter photography, i like nature related subjects.

Here are some that can be interesting.

Frost crystals on a window.
Macro snowflakes.
Blow a bubble on the snow and capture it freezing.
Sometimes when the water begins to freeze it will push up vertically like shark fins.
A winter landscape.
Snowy owls. Check ebird for locations near you.

I did a silhouette on the ice of a lake at sunset and thought it came out pretty cool. Maybe try that.

IMG_4593.JPG

Here are some that can be interesting.

Frost crystals on a window.
Macro snowflakes.
Blow a bubble on the snow and capture it freezing.
Sometimes when the water begins to freeze it will push up vertically like shark fins.
A winter landscape.
Snowy owls. Check ebird for locations near you.

Thank you that really helps, great ideas, definitely going to try those. Yes snowy owls are already on the list, i have photographed them before but with poor quality gear, so they didn't turn out great. They come around my area but not often.

Thanks.

Cityscapes at night, bridges at sunrise/sunset, the ocean, lighthouses, macro, water drops, oil and water, portraits - it’s a great time to learn flash and posing...

Cityscapes at night, bridges at sunrise/sunset, the ocean, lighthouses, macro, water drops, oil and water, portraits - it’s a great time to learn flash and posing...

Thanks these are all great ideas, i never would have thought of these ideas. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed as you can see.

Hi,

Trying to come up with a list of things i want to photograph this winter. Iv'e got a few but it just kinda hit me that there's not much to photograph in winter besides SNOW, SNOW, SNOW AND MORE SNOW. Any ideas for winter photography, i like nature related subjects.
At least snow is considerably more photogenic than rain!

We have a long list of indoor topics for our camera workshop, as sometimes even if it's not raining outside no-one fancies going out in the dark...
Recent topics have included stressed plastics via crossed polarisers, thin sliced food lit by transmission, portraits, long exposures still life, UV induced fluorescence, macro, special FX...
And for the outdoor stuff: Painting with light, moonlit landscapes, reflections, bursting balloons (water filled), fireworks...

Admittedly many are not nature related, but variety stops you getting in a rut. :encouragement:

Hi,

At least snow is considerably more photogenic than rain!

We have a long list of indoor topics for our camera workshop, as sometimes even if it's not raining outside no-one fancies going out in the dark...
Recent topics have included stressed plastics via crossed polarisers, thin sliced food lit by transmission, portraits, long exposures still life, UV induced fluorescence, macro, special FX...
And for the outdoor stuff: Painting with light, moonlit landscapes, reflections, bursting balloons (water filled), fireworks...

Admittedly many are not nature related, but variety stops you getting in a rut. :encouragement:

Thanks.

As the cold makes my disability worse I do a lot more table top photography in the winter. Have a look around the house and look at things with a photography eye. And the ...what can I do with that thought. As we have seen a plastic fork photographed using a poloriser filter gives some brill effects. A knife edge in macro has leading lines to vanishing point. Water drops and crown splashes, photographing a coin spinning using a flash so that you capture a moment in the spin, hell I am not going to give you all my ideas.
Just look around think how and what sort of photo could I make out of ....

Estes Park-8.jpg
Ice-6.jpg
There are a gazillion things to shoot during the winter. It's just that if your preferred stuff involves warm weather (like beaches or green leaves) than it feels like nothing.

I find that shooting in winter tends to require (a generalization, I know), more thinking and planning ahead of time and you need to think about composition to consistently get great winter shots. For instance, using negative space. Or B&W (which snow facilitates). Or use of shadow. Or contrast. Or subjects that benefit from soft light.

Personally, I just love what you can do with dripping icicles. Or water that has frozen on berries or leaves or branches. Animals in snow or winter create a whole different look (I may fly out to Utah in December or January to shoot some bison because I want photos of breath steaming out of their nostrils and snow on their matted hides). Frozen water--don't get me started--oh my. A long time ago when I was less competent I shot some frozen waves on Lake Superior. And of course, there are all sorts of things to shoot around the holidays what with decorations and lights.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back