What would you like to ask to an iStock-Ace ?

Perrush

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

For my article about microstocks, I thought it would be fun to do an interview with a full time pro who makes a living from microstocks.

I contacted one of the top 10 contributers of iStock and he/she agreed to cooperate.

Thus if you want something to ask to someone who makes a living out of microstocks, this is your chance. (Although I cannot promise that every question will be answered.)

You've time until Sunday next week (28 jan), then I will gather all questions and bundle them. After the questions are answered, I will make an article of it of which I'll post the link here.

I'm curious what questions will rise from this survey :)

The average price paid to a professional photographer in the USA for the use of a photo as a 1/4th page ad in a publication with a circulation of 10,000 or less is about $300.

Even if you don't think your photos are worth $300, almost anyone who enjoys photography as a hobby should be able to sell their photos at the local coffee houses for $20 each (probably more if it's good enough to be used in a commercial manner or for the general public). If you were selling 4"x6" prints for 20 cents each you'd be losing money; it's like they aren't even worth the paper they were printed on. At $0.20 a photo the photographers are getting scammed, and honestly they are getting insulted. If it was even $20 a use it would still be an incredible deal for the client, and the photographer would still only make $4 (it takes 20 sales at 20 cents each to make $4). It takes 36+ iStock sales an hour to meet the new minimum wage.

I think it would be more interesting to interview some one from Magnum or Corbis. Personally they are real stock agencies as compared to istock and the like. To me microstocks are just another internet scam. I am a hypocrite because I have photos on Big stock. Not like I expect to see a return. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Most reactions

Back