What's all wrong with this one?

TwoRails

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there has to be a good photo in there somewhere (in a future try) but I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with this one. I think it has potential, but..... and it's the "but" I'm trying to figure out.

So, please blast away: what's wrong?

(PS: there's no PP involved, and I could move only some to the left or right but no other views readily available.)

Tree-MapleInBloom-May3-09-LowResD90.jpg

1. too yellow
2. boring subject - not sure what you're trying to capture

You might try shooting the same picture during a sunrise or sunset to get some nice warm hues. And if you're focusing on something in particular, then zoom in on it. Like the texture of the bark with sun rays & shadows on it. Or the back of a leaf with the sun showing the veins... or the details of the hanging flowers.

It's just too busy, and cropping won't help.

Try a close up instead, just focus on one bunch of grapes or whatever they are :)

1. too yellow
2. boring subject - not sure what you're trying to capture

You might try shooting the same picture during a sunrise or sunset to get some nice warm hues. And if you're focusing on something in particular, then zoom in on it. Like the texture of the bark with sun rays & shadows on it. Or the back of a leaf with the sun showing the veins... or the details of the hanging flowers.
Thanks for posting, OregonAmy. 1) Actually, it was the golden glow from sunrise that caught my eye to this area. I didn't do any PP on purpose, in hopes of a better critque. Good tips on making things better, and yes, I think it both busy, as Sw1tchFX, and at the same time, boring.

It's just too busy, and cropping won't help.
Thanks, Sw1tchFX. A good "learner" this is, as I now understand how something can be busy and boring at the same time.

Try a close up instead, just focus on one bunch of grapes or whatever they are :)
Thanks, polymoog. I call those things "maple blooms" as I don't have a clue to the proper name. Whatever they are, they're hanging from the maple tree in the center.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keep it coming, if you think of anything else.

I think a part of the problem, now that I think of it, is that it was "just a shot" without any real thought on my part. No 'artsy' feeling or purpose on my part.

Definitely a close up on the interesting parts. And try during early evening or in the morning for better light. The light you described might be nice on a rock formation, but it's not working here. Different light is going to neutralize the yellow, but otherwise you can try to work with it (it might be less overwhelming on a smaller scale) or desaturate it.

I agree with what has already been said. However, I think besides the maple blooms, the part of the tree that branches out like a star could be a good focal point, not centered. Here is a very rough edit. Adjusted the levels, highlight/shadows, saturation, dodge/burn, and a bit of a crop.

3516953613_79e983c3ca.jpg

Still busy with the shadows. On second thought, very busy. I still like the formation of the tree. Can you prune it? :D Another time of day, as others suggested, or if you have off camera flash directed toward the center of the "star". This could take away from the background, by using depth of field with the flash (I'm trying to get into the strobist thing.) Just a thought.

Definitely a close up on the interesting parts. And try during early evening or in the morning for better light. The light you described might be nice on a rock formation, but it's not working here. Different light is going to neutralize the yellow, but otherwise you can try to work with it (it might be less overwhelming on a smaller scale) or desaturate it.
Yes, more thought in the shot would have helped, and the natural lighting at the time didn't help (sure looked a lot better at the moment, however).

I agree with what has already been said. However, I think besides the maple blooms, the part of the tree that branches out like a star could be a good focal point, not centered. Here is a very rough edit. Adjusted the levels, highlight/shadows, saturation, dodge/burn, and a bit of a crop.

3516953613_79e983c3ca.jpg

Still busy with the shadows. On second thought, very busy. I still like the formation of the tree. Can you prune it? :D Another time of day, as others suggested, or if you have off camera flash directed toward the center of the "star". This could take away from the background, by using depth of field with the flash (I'm trying to get into the strobist thing.) Just a thought.
Nice rough edit. Yea, I too agree, it's just too busy. Flash... didn't think of it at the time, but then I've had my (first) flash for a week or so and barely know how to turn it on! LOL - For a frame of reference, the 'star' is about 20 feet up and the tree on the right in your edit is about 1 1/2 feet across.

~~~~~~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back